Thread: A hearty Bergheil to you All

A hearty Bergheil to you All

Howdy Ya'll,
    I've just been reading some of the forum here and wow,... I'm impressed with the vitality and quantity of interest and info.

I met a very pleasant and knowledgeable guy at a local antiques mall here in Central Florida a few weeks back and he invited me to sign up here.

Ok, I'm a little slow.

I hadn't really thought too much about LF photography since I've just begun dipping into MF with a Super Ikonta C and a Zenobia 645, however, the technicalities involved in LF "movements" scares the bejeesus out of me.

Again, I reiterate... I'm a little slow.

Anyway, I just ran into a Voigtlander Bergheil 6.5x9 with a Heliar 105mm/3.5 that looks quite clean, at least through the glass case it's sitting in, for $90. The only thing obviously wrong with it is it seems to be missing the bubble finder on the rise arm.

I'm gonna go look at it again today and see if it's usable, but I don't know what these babies are worth. Would it be worth $90 bucks?

It has a ground glass back that looks ok, i think, but no accessories or film backs that I noticed.

And how expensive or easy to find are roll film backs for these cameras?

Re: A hearty Bergheil to you All

One more question for anyone willing.

I have another Heliar lens that says No. 2 Voigtlander Heliar US patent 716035, focus 6 1/4 in. No.62242. that's attached to a non functioning Wollensak Betax No. 3 shutter.

What LF camera set-up do you suppose that would have been used with? How old might it be? What era?

That's a good price for the Bergheil. I would happily buy it for that. I think they usually go for 2-300, depending on condition. Easy enough to find a roll film back, or film holders. The only movements will be rise and shift, but those are the most important anyway, and its quite fun to carry a view camera in your pocket!

Cheers, tim

Thanks for the reply, Tim.

I checked out the Bergheil today and it looks pretty good. The shutter sounds close at
    all speeds and the glass is clean with maybe a very slight haze.
    Only two issues. The aperture blades are frozen at around f8, and the bubble level on
    the rise arm, if that's what it's called, is kaput.

Otherwise, not too shabby.

I probably would have bought it today, but ran into a totally unexpected Contax RF with a 50/1.5 Sonnar that I had to grab. The sound from the metal shutter curtain totally seduced me. And the price was right.

I'm hoping the Bergheil will still be there in a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by jackconrad View Post
    Howdy Ya'll,
    I've just been reading some of the forum here and wow,... I'm impressed with the vitality and quantity of interest and info.

I met a very pleasant and knowledgeable guy at a local antiques mall here in Central Florida a few weeks back and he invited me to sign up here.

Ok, I'm a little slow.

I hadn't really thought too much about LF photography since I've just begun dipping into MF with a Super Ikonta C and a Zenobia 645, however, the technicalities involved in LF "movements" scares the bejeesus out of me.

Again, I reiterate... I'm a little slow.

Anyway, I just ran into a Voigtlander Bergheil 6.5x9 with a Heliar 105mm/3.5 that looks quite clean, at least through the glass case it's sitting in, for $90. The only thing obviously wrong with it is it seems to be missing the bubble finder on the rise arm.

I'm gonna go look at it again today and see if it's usable, but I don't know what these babies are worth. Would it be worth $90 bucks?

It has a ground glass back that looks ok, i think, but no accessories or film backs that I noticed.

And how expensive or easy to find are roll film backs for these cameras?
    There's nothing scary about the movements - once you see their effects, you get it. Move the lens that-away, the image moves with it. Tilt the standard, things go soft in the middle etc.
    The Bergheil is a folding plate camera. It really doesn't qualify as a standard LF camera. It can be used - but only for the very adventurous. There are film rollbacks (brand name Rada if I am not mistaken) but again, this will be a very difficult camera to use. I am pretty sure you won't find pre-cut film that size for the holders so you'll have to cut your own film if you want to use sheet film too. The shutter will be your main worry.

No. 6.5x9 film is available from Freestyle, and other places. I have a similar camera (a Kodak Recomar) and don't find it difficult at all. There are little tricks to folding and unfolding, and its easy to miss the self-timer, but I guess you could probably google the original manual. No more difficult than any other view camera.

Is it covered in green leather? Let me know if you decide you don't want it. Just PM me the seller's email address. I'll buy it and have him ship it to my friend's house in Virginia and I'll pick it up on my next trip to the US.

Cheers, Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Meisburger View Post
    No. 6.5x9 film is available from Freestyle, and other places. I have a similar camera (a Kodak Recomar) and don't find it difficult at all. There are little tricks to folding and unfolding, and its easy to miss the self-timer, but I guess you could probably google the original manual. No more difficult than any other view camera.

Is it covered in green leather? Let me know if you decide you don't want it. Just PM me the seller's email address. I'll buy it and have him ship it to my friend's house in Virginia and I'll pick it up on my next trip to the US.

Cheers, Tim
    It's black, and it does have the detachable shutter lens mount, which makes me think
    it might not be too tough getting to the aperture blades.