Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Show me what you can do with LF! (That you can't with smaller formats.)

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Re: Show me what you can do with LF! (That you can't with smaller formats.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    Kirk,

I was referring to specialized perspective control lenses for 35mm and MF cameras.

Were you able to get as much front rise and/or shift with those types of lens as you could with a monorail LF camera?

If so, I stand corrected.
    Since I already had Hasselblads and the lenses, I seriously considered getting the Hasselblad Flexbody. After I studied its capabilities and then considered the cost for a complete Flexbody, I decided to get into LF and bought a Pacemaker Speed Graphic and a Graflex Model D and had lots of money left over to future growth.

Who said that the power of GAS cannot be harnessed?

Stve
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Impossible to make this photograph without the benefit of moveable lens and film planes.

http://www.steve-sherman.com/vinci04.htm

Real photographs are born wet !

www.PowerOfProcessTips.com

Thanks Steve! You picked up some fantastic textures on the right in that one.

In the desert...
    excellent example Steve

Lf is just a tool - if "there are times when I question if it is the right thing" then you really shouldn't use it and use something else instead. I would, for example, never consider using LF for street photography. Well, almost never (I have a handheld press camera that can be used for that purpose but nowhere nearly as quickly as an AF, AE 35mm camera)
    If you're doing any sort of contact printing for alt processes for example, you come to appreciate using a large negative. Especially if you're going to blow it up and want to try to preserve as much info as possible.

Now having said that, the question of "what can you do" assumes that the benefits of LF are purely utilitarian. If that was the case, a lot of us would have gone digital. I suspect a lot of us use LF simply because we LIKE using LF and would continue to do so if there were actually better options available.

One example is found in Atget's work in Paris early in the last century. See here.
    http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=atget&...w=1920&bih=899
    It is easy to get this vignetting with too much rise in any LF camera but difficult in 35mm without the previously mentioned perspective control lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    Kirk,

I was referring to specialized perspective control lenses for 35mm and MF cameras.

Were you able to get as much front rise and/or shift with those types of lens as you could with a monorail LF camera?

If so, I stand corrected.
    "As much" in what sense, absolute terms or relative to the film/sensor size? I'm sure he can't get "as much" in absolute terms (i.e. same number of millimeters or inches of rise or shift). But relative to the size of the film/sensor he probably can get as much or close to it, depending on the particular LF camera with which it's compared. Of course with a tilt/shift lens there's no ability to aim the camera up and bring the back parallel to the subject to keep parallel lines in subject parallel in the photograph.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

As many great images have been made with 35mm as have been made with 8x10. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. The question you need to ask is not, "What's better?". The question you need to ask is, "What kind of a photographer am I?" If you like to run around the city snapping here and there, a LF camera is not going to be your friend. But if you like to shoot slow, compose your shot, and really plan out your images - or if you're working in a studio environment - than a large format might be advantageous. Try it out. It might not be for you - or it might change your life. Hopefully the latter.

Octogenarian

Brian.

"As much" of an advantage that one can obtain by using the tilt/shift controls on the type of view camera that features full front and rear movement capability.

(Why do I need to defend my statement? Was it that inaccurate?)