A caution about the Iomega solutions:

Iomega makes nice stuff, but are often (always?) the only company producing it. In my opinion this makes it completely useless as a backup medium. Just like any other non-standard prorietary solution.

Even if you go for standard solutions you might get into trouble: Raise hands everyone who can still read 5.25" floppy disks

Backing up to hard disks, external firewire or internal disks, is a relatively cheap and quick solution. You need be careful though when you upgrade your computer or operating system. You may not be able to read them afterwards.

The same goes for tapes of course: My unix machine can't read my Retrospect MacOS 9 tapes, and I have no idea if tapes made on Windows 2000 can be read on Windows 2005 when it comes out.

CDs are relatively safe because the ISO 9660 format is pretty standard across different platforms. They are a bit slow and cumbersome though. And *a lot* of work when finally the day comes that CDs are obsolete and your data needs to be moved to a different medium.

DVDs I am not so sure of. Is it finally clear which of the many formats of DVD-R, DVD-RW, etc will become *THE* standard? i haven't paid attention, so I'm not sure.

I try to steer clear from proprietary solutions like Iomega's, and usually backup to CD and/or hard disks attached to different computers in different locations. (isn't the internet great?)