Hey guys,

I've got 52 gigabytes of 4x5" drum scans on my Mac's hard drive, which represent s eleven years of work; i couldn't even estimate the personal cost i've incurred to get the images, the scans, and do the Photoshop work for printing. Suffice it to say that hard drive is by FAR the most valuable possession in my world.

My backup system is to have two additional 120 GB external hard drives, each of which contains a mirror image of the first. Every week or so I do a backup, so in case any of the three drives fails, i have the whole 52 gigabytes on the othe r two.

But, all three drives are in the same place, so if there's a catastrophe such as an earthquake, all three could go at once. Plus, i've heard that no hard drive can be expected to last more than a few years, so this definitely is not an "archival" solution.

So, what are other people doing for archiving of large quantities of important i mage files? burning CD's is a possibility but very time consuming for 52 GB; i' m thinking about burning DVD's (it'd take about 12 of them to back up my whole l ibrary). have other people tried tape drives or other stuff? any suggestions w ould be appreciated,

~cj (Seattle)