Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Google Plus

Re: Google Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    I don't think having a low resolution image online really matters but to have it available for 21 cents *from the photographer* cheapens (literally) a work beyond all reason.
    How?

Anyone who has an elementary understanding of the internet knows that the image can be downloaded, and printed, for nothing.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Quote Originally Posted by Brian K View Post
    QT, the point is I never uploaded ANY images to Picasa and neither did the other photographers who's work appeared there under someone else's name and NOT credited to the actual photographers.......
    You can't blame Picasa for that. And no, there is no solution to image theft other than going after image thieves after the fact. Tight authorization control would imply allowing image publication only to registered/licensed photographers or publishers and forbidding it to consumers/individuals, which does not only have severe civil rights implications, but is effectively impossible in the internet age.

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    How?

Anyone who has an elementary understanding of the internet knows that the image can be downloaded, and printed, for nothing.
    It's not a question of practicality. It's a question of legitimacy. That fact that I'm buying it directly from the artist confers upon it a status that my print made from printing something I googled doesn't have. It has a pedigree.

--Darin

Camera Antipodea Richard Mahoney's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by QT Luong View Post
    The images you upload on G+ are automatically transferred to Picassa, so if you are using G+, you'd better figure out how Picassa works, if only to avoid the kind of surprises mentioned by Richard. Although professionals know better, many users of photo sharing sites (inc. Picassa) upload their images at full resolution.
    Apologies for the delay in getting back, I'm traveling.

Yes, the trouble was that I -- ignorantly? -- hadn't been aware of the connection between Google+ and Picassa, though I would not be against the redistribution of my images by Google under the same terms. What did bother me though were the default terms that Google had -- automatically? -- associated with the images they migrated from Google+ to Picassa.

Google+, strangely, does not seem to have any easy to find way to manage rights, a basic feature of any decent content management system -- although it would be reasonable to expect that material uploaded to Google+ is covered by Google's standard terms of service, which to my knowledge respects copyright. Piccasa, on the other hand, lets one set the rights for each image, although with very few options: no reuse (All rights reserved.) and reuse (Creative Commons). The issue I have with the migration of my images from Google+ to Picassa is with what appears to have been the modification of the image rights.

My images as uploaded to Google+ are `Copyright © &c.. All rights reserved.' The images that Google kindly published for me through Picassa defaulted to Creative Commons with the additional option of allowing viewers to order prints of my images from external suppliers (with whom I have no association).

Although some people on this list appear to be trying to play down the significance of this migration and what appears to have been the attendant `adjustment' of the image rights, I believe it is an issue which should cause us great concern. Unless one can be assured that one will always have the ability to manage the rights associated with all material provided to external web sites I think it would be very imprudent to use them.

Kind regards,

Richard
    Richard Mahoney
    M: +64-21-064-0216 T: +64-3-312-1699 E: contact@indica-et-buddhica.com

>>The images that Google kindly published for me through Picassa defaulted to Creative Commons<<

Oh my! So I can incorporate your work on web sites and products, heck, web advertising without even telling you, the photographer, let alone paying you? Google+ is Plus indeed!

--Darin