Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Google Plus

Google Plus

I signed up for it a couple of weeks ago. Works quite differently from Facebook Pages. So far I like it. Curious to know whether other people here are exploring Google+ and your impressions.

Cheers.

P.S. While Google+ is theoretically not yet public, each member has 150 invitations to give out and there are said to be about 25 million people signed up already.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Re: Google Plus

just curious why this is posted here rather than the Lounge. Is this headed for a discussion of Google+ as a marketing venue?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    just curious why this is posted here rather than the Lounge. Is this headed for a discussion of Google+ as a marketing venue?
    Yes.

A couple of months ago, I set up Tumblr, Facebook Page and Twitter accounts for a friend who was starting a business. I am at this point convinced that social media are an extremely important part of marketing. They provide a platform for marketing and communicating with current and potential clients that is qualitatively different from what can be done with a static web site or blog. Google+ is Google's attempt to take on Facebook, and I think that anyone who is using a Facebook Page (as distinct from a personal page) for marketing should be exploring it. One of the early trends on Google+ is that it is attracting a lot of photographers, possibly because it is more graphic friendly than Facebook.

However, if you want to move this to the Lounge, it is of course up to you.

Cheers

Can someone invite me? I'd like to check it out. I do a little "marketing" on Facebook which has been fun.

--Darin

Re Facebook, maybe I should explain what a Facebook Page is. They are used by businesses and individuals who want to create a Facebook presence that is public. Facebook Pages are completely different from the traditional Facebook site, which is essentially a site for oneself and one's friends.

Google+ handles this differently. So far, at least, it does not distinguish between private and public accounts. Members have one account, with the option, on a post by post basis, of restricting their content to particular groups of individuals that they have defined, or making their content public.

Me on google plus:
    https://plus.google.com/108306073756639379939

If anyone wants an invitation, send me your email address and I'll send you one.

Note Mr. Galbraith's URL. Google+, unlike Facebook Page, is not yet offering individualized URLs, e.g. plus.google.com/SeanGalbraith. It is likely that Google will offer this when Google+ goes public.

In the meantime, I think that Google+ members should establish a Google account/profile using the name that they want in their URL, especially if nobody else has their preferred name. There are a couple of workarounds for a short URL for Google+ (including a web service specifically created to make these URLs), but I think that there are drawbacks and personally I've decided to wait for Google to offer them.

This shows the layout difference between Facebook Pages and Google+ re the basic info page (you can also see the difference between the Facebook Wall/Google+ Post pages, although in this case the Google+ Post page is very new/more sparse). The Facebook site was started about 10 weeks ago, the Google+ site over the last week or so.

https://www.facebook.com/stewwadden?sk=info
    https://plus.google.com/108236377903318101246/about

I am at this point convinced that social media are an extremely important part of marketing. They provide a platform for marketing and communicating with current and potential clients that is qualitatively different from what can be done with a static web site or blog. Google+ is Google's attempt to take on Facebook, and I think that anyone who is using a Facebook Page (as distinct from a personal page) for marketing should be exploring it.
    I completely agree BTW.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    I completely agree BTW.
    The problem is that Website plus Blog plus Facebook plus Twitter plus Google+ equals lots of time.

While there are ways to post the same content to all these platforms at the same time, I am convinced that it is a mistake to do that. I think that Facebook and Google+ are the only case where identical content makes sense.

The overarching problem is that the social media are content hungry, and that the content that seems to work is image content. Which means lots of image processing. Not surprisingly, for the site on which I was working with a friend, the image processing (selection of photographs and Photoshop) is about to be farmed out.

For people with limited time/resources, I am beginning to think that Facebook (or Google+ if it is a success) plus a simple, image friendly blogging platform like Tumblr may make more sense than a static web site. I'm still trying to figure out whether Twitter adds value.