Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best possible 24x36 poster print?

Best possible 24x36 poster print?

I'm currently using a Canon Rebel XT 8 megapixel and am completely unsatisfied with my 24x36 poster prints. I'm going large format!, and would like to know exactly what I need to do to make a stunning color poster of this size. Go large format 4x5? Then print optically? Or drum scan it at what resolution?, and print on what printer? I've read through the FAQ and can't find what I'm looking for. Just a short reply would be very helpful to me! Thanks in advance. Jay

I'll second the recommendation for 4x5 -- even a pretty modest 4x5 with a 70+ year old lens will easily beat any digital you can buy short of a NASA budget. I have an 8 year old flatbed scanner with glassless film adapters, and I get about 93 megapixels from 4x5 film at 2400 ppi; a drum scanner can get about twice that pixel count at 4000 ppi and the pixels are worth more because of better optics and mechanics.

And from 4000 ppi, you can enlarge about 13x and still keep an original pixel density of 300 ppi -- that'd be 52x65 from a 4x5, or perhaps an inch or two less to account for cropping off the film holder masking if you don't want to keep that.

Though I'll admit to a preference for optical prints, I'll also admit that my preference is partly because I work almost exclusively in black and white (I've never shot color in large format, only 120 and smaller), and the very best black and white digital prints are still no match for a well made optical print (at least to my eye), even though current pigment inks are likely to be as permanent as an archival silver print. I also prefer prints somewhat smaller than 24x36 inches, however; I think little is gained by printing beyond 11x14 or, at most, 16x20, simply because I have to stand back further and further, so I see no more than I would in an 8x10 at arm's length.
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

As far as the film choice, scanning and printing goes, what you need is a partnership with a good photo production house. For example, people seem to like a place called West Coast Imaging at westcoastimaging.com. They do scanning and printing and their website has a lot of really useful information on it including really nice articles and advice. Another advantage of a place like that is that they do so many different things that just by cruising their website you will probably see processes available to you that you weren't even aware of. A great source for ideas.

I don't have anything to do with them and I have never purchased services from them but I do use their website for information and I'm sure that there are other digital labs out there that offer similar services. Good luck.

Dear Jay,

There was an article in the May '06 Pop Photo comparing the large online sources for prints/posters. It could be that you simply need a different vendor.

Apologies if I'm wrong but Jay is probably just a troll yanking your chains on a lame joke. There are no short answers to his questions and if he was legit he'd be the first to realize that.

No Frank. I'm legit. Seriously trying to make the best 24x36 posters I can! I want them to be "stunning." Thanks for all the replies so far. I think I will try 4x5 with Velvia film (I have heard, but don't know what speed), drum scan at 4000 dpi and then print on an Epson printer... unless anyone else has a different idea. Thanks again to everyone helping me get the best results.

Jay

Jay -

It all depends on what you mean by "stunning"... Sharp ? Saturated colors ? Subtle colors ? Black and White ? No grain ?

The answer will depend on the subject, lighting, time of day, etc. A horserace, or a horse barn ? Close or far away ?

If you use 8x10 film, it is a 3x enlargement, which is quite within the range of a good scanner - and the results will be stunning. If you choose 4x5, then you are probably pushing things, since it will require a 6x enlargement, with no cropping of the shorter side.

If you scan a 4x5 at 4000 ppi, you may have a problem manuipulating the file on anything but the most robust computer: the file is 915.5 MB - and that's only 8-bit color. Once you start fiddling with it in Photoshop, it only gets bigger from there on out.

If you know you need a 6x enlargement, and you want to print out at 360 dpi, then scan at 6 * 360, or roughly 2400 ppi. In that case, you get "only" a 329.6 MB file. That's pretty big already. You'll still need a good computer.

I recently scanned a 4X5 Kodak TMX negative on my archaic Epson 2450 scanner, and I subsequently had the file printed by A&I to 16"X20". The photograph was displayed at an exhibition to raise funds for a wildlife rehabilitation centre. Alongside my print were those from twenty other photographers, all of whom used digital capture, ranging from six to sixteen megapixels. If I had not seen it for myself, I would have never believed how a 4X5 negative, scanned on an inferior scanner, could so casually outclass digital, at least at this exhibition. I know people argue all the time that a couple digital cameras can match 4X5 film up to 16X20, however, I have to see it to believe it.

If you know you need a 6x enlargement, and you want to print out at 360 dpi, then scan at 6 * 360, or roughly 2400 ppi. In that case, you get "only" a 329.6 MB file. That's pretty big already. You'll still need a good computer.

Aside from some wait time for screen updates, I have no trouble manipulating files in this size range in PS5LE or GIMP 2.2, under Windows 98 (though with this software, the manipulations I can perform on the largest files I've handled are limited -- 16 bits per channel, 2400 ppi on a 6x9 cm negative gives me about 44 megapixel, or about 284 MB in color, but I can only perform levels and crops at this bit depth). I have an AMD Athlon XP 2600+, 1 GB RAM, and feForce FX5200 128DDR video -- a pretty modest system by current standards, most of it four years old (though I upgraded the video and CPU to this spec about a year ago).
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

Just curious about the GIMP: does it support ICE profiles ?

How can you print to a variety of printers/inksets, each with their own color gamuts ? I found right away that unless I print through a custom profile, I'm wasting my time - and the only thing "stunning" is the exasperation and cost of wasted materials :-)