Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mirror resilvering...

Mirror resilvering...

I have an old near mint Wella Twin lens reflex that needs its mirror resurfaced. Would like to "do it self" as my four year old would say... Glass is maybe .5 mm so replacement seems very hard to locate... It's front surfaced... Thanks, Bill

Re: Mirror resilvering...

Do some research on companies that will recoat astronomical telecope mirrors. I had one done a while back at a very reasonable price. Unfortunately I didn't save the company info.

The later Polaroid cameras ... plastic horizontal ones where the exposed film comes out the front ... have a very nice front surface mirror. I've fixed a few TLR's with those mirrors. Usually have to score and snap off a wee bit to make it fit, but that's easy. They're already about the right shape so it's usually just a bit at the bottom.

Although you can now find paintable mirror coating in craft stores like Michaels -I make no claim on wether it would be suitable. If you do a bit of research on mirror silvering you will find that it is or was is a rather dangerous process. It would not be something I would try. To my knowledge: & In short it involves mercury vapors and electrical current.
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

Nowadays they vacuum deposit aluminum or some other metal to the glass instead of using the silver chemical plating. Way less explosive.

Edmunds Optics, Surplusshed and similar dealers should have thin front mirrors. Or ask around local astronomers (whether a hobbyists club or the university observatory) for the nearest place that does front mirror coatings - they will know.

I wonder if a Rolleiflex mirror might suit?

http://www.uscamera.com/rflextlr001.htm

I'd think this would work with a cut or two if needed. I take no financial responsibility should you choose to browse the website, btw.....
    Last edited by erie patsellis; 11-Sep-2011 at 19:16. Reason: added link so post makes sense...

Here is a cool trick. Surprise, there is a front surface mirror hidden under the paint on the back.
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum147/...r-mirrors.html

Thanks everyone. I'll try Surplusshed first while I'm removing the back paint from a compact mirror... Bill