Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BTZS tubes - nice equipment

BTZS tubes - nice equipment

Received a set of 4x5 BTZS film developing tubes today from Badger Graphic. They look pretty well made. The tubes have a nice heft, the threads function well and an o-ring is included to reduce leaks.

The tempering tray also is nice. The material is thicker than I expected, and has a nice look and feel. I'm looking forward to using this setup.

I am going to mix up some soup tomorrow. On Sunday I will process my first-ever 4x5 negatives, and first film of any type in about 8 years.

Re: BTZS tubes - nice equipment

I used a set for the first time tonight. They are very handy and easy to use. I did learn that you need to be careful when "rolling them" so that the lid does not screw off. It almost happened during the development stage. I would have diluted my 1:1 Xtol mix. Also do not insert the 4x5 film too deep or it will make it more difficult to remove from the tube after it is fixed.

Jon

Thanks for the tip, Jon.

I used the tubes for years. For me the easiest way to remove the film was to hold the tube in one hand and put the thumb of the other hand on the film. Exert some pressure against the film/inside of the tube and while exerting pressure lift your thumb up. That will raise an edge of the film above the edge of the tube and then you can just grab the edge and pull the film out. It takes a lot longer to read this than it does to do it.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

You might find this useful its part 1 of a two part video tutorial on using the tubes by Fred Newman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMXQO5ATgiY

I processed two sheets of Tri-X tonight and things seem to have gone pretty well. Unloading the film holders went OK - I struggled a little to get the film to slip out of the holder. Loading the tubes was pretty easy. I loaded them upside down, into tube caps pre-filled with developer, then got myself situated before starting agitation.

Agitation was very easy, no problems at all getting the hang of it. I was a little nervous emptying the first tube, getting it into the stop bath, and emptying the second tube and getting it into the stop. My concern was uneven development on the tube I left with developer in it, while emptying and stopping the first tube. The tubes then went into a tray of fixer for a minute or two. Getting the film out of the tubes went pretty well, then into film holders for a soak in a rubber tank of fixer.

The negatives look fairly well exposed. I am not sure about contrast, though. I used D-76 stock solution at 75 deg F. I usually use D-76 1:1 at 68F but it just didn't happen that way due to my 8 year hiatus from my darkroom practices. So my concern is the contrast may be a bit on the high side because of the warmish, relatively concentrated developer. I did use the time recommended by Kodak on the Tri-X tech pub, so I shouldn't be too far off.

Thanks for letting my carry on. I am really happy to be back in the darkroom, and trying something new for me, which is large format.

I used to wonder a little about uneven development when some of the tubes lay stationary in the water jacket while removing film from one. But it was never an actual problem.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Hi Chassis

If you have any questions on using the BTZS tubes or film testing, please check my videos on youtube.com. You can find all the videos by doing a search on the word "viewcamerastore". I started doing the videos because it was a lot easier to understand by watching the videos first. If you have more questions, please email or call me.

Fred Newman

Lucian Marin

The tubes are great. Just got a couple myself a few weeks ago, and seriously simplified my processing & time in the darkroom. Not using gloves any more, since you barely need to touch the chemicals directly this way, and the light is on for most of the process. Development is even and dust free, would never go back to trays.

Mr. Newman, I have watched your videos and they were very clear and helpful.