Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you carry your film - let's see those bags!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

How do you carry your film - let's see those bags!

Since Leigh does NOT want a discussion thread in his quest for the Zone VI 8x10 film carrying bag, and it seems that there are several who actually WOULD like to have a discussion about it, let's break the chain and start one here.

The original discussion was about the Zone VI film holders and the desire Leigh had to find more like the one he already had. Other folks chimed in, offered some suggestions, and what I thought was an actually enlightening conversation ensued.

I have been very disappointed with the MC Gear bag that I purchased earlier this year. I found it very flimsy and that it didn't offer much actual protection to the film holders. At over $125 a pop for 4x10 holders I decided to go in search for a better solution. I couldn't find one that I actually liked, so I decided to have my own bags made locally here in Salt Lake City, Utah, from a reputable custom bag maker named WAVE.

They have made me several bags, one to carry two seperate Canham camera backs in one pouch, another for the wide-angle bellows, one that can carry seven 8x10 holders and one that can carry seven 5x7 holders.

Ironically I haven't had the 4x10 holder bag made yet b/c that is my preferred format and I do not want to be without the holders for the week that it would take to make the bags. WAVE really wants to have the actual item/s with them when they make the bag so that they are able to offer a superior fit. Giving them measurements wasn't good enough...they wanted to ensure that they were exactly right, so I would leave the various components with them as I could.

The basic design is derived from the MC Gear bags. I do like the way the off-set loop allows them to hang at an angle from the hook on the bottom of my tripod, so I opted to keep that aspect of their design. My green 8x10 holder bag has padded partitions, which does add slightly to the size and weight of the bag, but I feel it is worth it. The yellow 5x7 holder bag does not have this feature. The 4x10 bag that I will eventually have made will have padded dividers and I will have the design such that the opening will be that the holders will be oriented from left to right instead of from front to back.

I also decided that I was tired of hunting for pencils to take notes with, so I had pockets for pencils and paper incorporated into the outside.

The red bellows bag unzips completely so that I don't have to slide the bellows in and out. I decided to make the bellows bag red in a subtle homage to Ron Wisner, whose 4x5 pocket expedition camera I once owned many years ago.

The grey camera back bag only unzips partially so that they don't flop out accidentally.

I have put additional pack strap loops on the backside of the film holder bags if I want to be able to strap them to a pack in the future. As I look back on the design and have used them for about six months now I would also add D-rings on the sides of the film bags so that I could add a shoulder strap. I will probably have those added in the future.

Let's see everyone else's bags...good bad or ugly!

Foamer

Re: How do you carry your film - let's see those bags!

Those are nice. How much did they cost?

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Do or do not. There is no try.

Very nice. The pencil-and-whatnot holders on the outside are a thoughtful touch.

How much does the 5x7 bag weigh?

Do you think they would consider a discount if several of us could agree (hah!) on a particular size for a group order?

I go with the cheaper ziplocs.

Ron Miller

Quote Originally Posted by SamReeves View Post
    I go with the cheaper ziplocs.
    +1. I can't tell you how much gear I have that I thought would fit the bill only to leave it home for something lightweight and down-right cheap (ie. ziplocks). That being said, I always hike with a backpack. I've never seem anyone hiking with individually packed items outside a backpack. Or is this for when you're somewhat close to the car/jeep/truck/?

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gevalia View Post
    +1. I can't tell you how much gear I have that I thought would fit the bill only to leave it home for something lightweight and down-right cheap (ie. ziplocks). That being said, I always hike with a backpack. I've never seem anyone hiking with individually packed items outside a backpack. Or is this for when you're somewhat close to the car/jeep/truck/?
    Then you never saw me out hiking The rationale behind packing items such as film bags on the outside of the pack is to distribute the weight. For example if I'm out hiking with 10 or 12 4x5 holders in 2 f64 cases, I'll strap one case on the left side of the pack and the other on the right with both up high. I find it easier to carry that way then to have the weight of both cases dead center in the middle of my back.

Distributing the weight around your body is the key for maintaining your balance and carrying heavy gear around.

Thomas

Ron Miller

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    Then you never saw me out hiking The rationale behind packing items such as film bags on the outside of the pack is to distribute the weight. For example if I'm out hiking with 10 or 12 4x5 holders in 2 f64 cases, I'll strap one case on the left side of the pack and the other on the right with both up high. I find it easier to carry that way then to have the weight of both cases dead center in the middle of my back.

Distributing the weight around your body is the key for maintaining your balance and carrying heavy gear around.

Thomas
    Gear inside my pack, water outside.

I saw those bags in the other thread & thought they looked great. I too would like to know how much they cost.

I got 4 of these bags from a seller on eb@y after finding one in a local thrift store for $1(so a grand total of 5 bags, each now with 5 holders in it). I paid, IIRC, around $10 or so each, shipped, for the last 4. Not a bad deal, but not the steal of the century either . They serve this "re" purpose very well, and are sufficiently padded, but not overly so to make them bulky. They even incorporate an adjustable shoulder strap!

They were originally designed to hold an Epson projector, but I've found that they hold 5 8x10 holders quite nicely! 6 holders can be squeezed in, but it becomes a tighter fit than I'd like, so I stick with 5.

-Dan

I have several of these and a few years ago sold many as they seemed to be made for 8x10. Holds six nicely, 7 in a pinch. Not too bulky, insulated and a nice netted pouch in front, zipper top. Made by Cal Innovations for the promo industry as cooler bags.
    Many here have some I believe...
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover"
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site