Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you carry your film - let's see those bags!

Re: How do you carry your film - let's see those bags!

Well I dont have or care to spend that kind of money for film holder bags. I did look for quite some time to find one that is water proof, One that can hold lots of holders 4x5 and 8x10.

I got lucky last week, I found 2 bags for only a few bucks at good will. When not in use they flatten and stow away easily. I I think I am going to buy a nice foal cube that will allow me to crate some sort of divider system. They seem to be protected, I just do not want to have them be sliding around.

So here they are, they weigh nothing. I think they are a cooler system

Flat

Full

Seven - 8x10 holders and the second bag holding Eleven 4x5 holders (still lots of room for more.) but plan to put in some lightweight foam to help woth the holders shifting, I also plan to put in some covered rigid supports on the in sides the the bag so it wont crush.

I like to keep most of my holders in Ziploc's for dust reasons. These new bags are waterproof and seems to be holding the dust at bey. (I ran out of the large ones, shhhh.)

Now would I like to have custom bags made for my gear, heck yeah. But this will have to do for now. But I will keep my eye out for some more compact ones. You just never know what you will find at goodwill!

I have a question? on an average outing for a weekend, how many holders will you take on average?

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

I will fill the case with newly loaded holders each time I go out. I will probably only shoot 3-4 images at most and I am making two exposures of each scene. I like those large zip-locs. I will have to find some to fit my holders.

And as far as having money for custom bags...well, as we know, we are a generally a pretty cheap bunch of folks and I have no problem with that. I am one too. I did run into a bit of money and decided to have bags made to protect the holders when in the past it had seemed to me that the film is actually what suffered the most. Really the holders and film are ought to be what suffers the least.

We all do all things differently but at least we are all out doing THINGS and not no-things.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew blais View Post
    I have several of these and a few years ago sold many as they seemed to be made for 8x10. Holds six nicely, 7 in a pinch. Not too bulky, insulated and a nice netted pouch in front, zipper top. Made by Cal Innovations for the promo industry as cooler bags.
    Many here have some I believe...
    Yeah, I got one of matt's bags. Shoulder strap is adjustable. Bag folds down and velcro's flat when empty. I use mine to carry beer on fishing trips. Too bad they aren't made anymore as they were cheap and are quite durable.

Domke F-802 Reporter's Satchel. Room for five 8x10 film holders interlaced without having to jam them in there. Plus room in the pouches and pockets for accessories such as a meter, filters, food... It can hang underneath the tripod so you can work out of it.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gevalia View Post
    +1. I can't tell you how much gear I have that I thought would fit the bill only to leave it home for something lightweight and down-right cheap (ie. ziplocks). That being said, I always hike with a backpack. I've never seem anyone hiking with individually packed items outside a backpack. Or is this for when you're somewhat close to the car/jeep/truck/?
    Then you never saw me out hiking The rationale behind packing items such as film bags on the outside of the pack is to distribute the weight. For example if I'm out hiking with 10 or 12 4x5 holders in 2 f64 cases, I'll strap one case on the left side of the pack and the other on the right with both up high. I find it easier to carry that way then to have the weight of both cases dead center in the middle of my back.

Distributing the weight around your body is the key for maintaining your balance and carrying heavy gear around.

Thomas

Ron Miller

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    Then you never saw me out hiking The rationale behind packing items such as film bags on the outside of the pack is to distribute the weight. For example if I'm out hiking with 10 or 12 4x5 holders in 2 f64 cases, I'll strap one case on the left side of the pack and the other on the right with both up high. I find it easier to carry that way then to have the weight of both cases dead center in the middle of my back.

Distributing the weight around your body is the key for maintaining your balance and carrying heavy gear around.

Thomas
    Gear inside my pack, water outside.

When I would tromp around with an 8x10, I'd put holders into a $39 EMS Book-Daypack, each holder in a Ziploc type bag. Meter, lenses, extras in the front portion of the pack. I don't understand what else you'd need?

For air travel, a Lightware case.

For real backpacking, I wouldn't bring an 8x10.

where I live its been over 100* for 40 days this summer!!!
    I use Coleman ICE CHEST not some soft bag !!!!
    an Coleman ICE CHEST not only keeps most of the heat out
    it has all the protection of film holders that you need!
    I use them for all my Cameras & film & can leave them in my
    unlock car. WHERE as leave A Horseman camera case its stolen
    lock or not!!!
    next as I live in dust all of the time I use ZIP-lock bags to keep
    the dust out the best I can

Quote Originally Posted by banjo View Post
    where I live its been over 100* for 40 days this summer!!!
    I use Coleman ICE CHEST not some soft bag !!!!
    an Coleman ICE CHEST not only keeps most of the heat out
    it has all the protection of film holders that you need!
    I use them for all my Cameras & film & can leave them in my
    unlock car. WHERE as leave A Horseman camera case its stolen
    lock or not!!!
    next as I live in dust all of the time I use ZIP-lock bags to keep
    the dust out the best I can
    Where do you leave your unlocked car?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronan87 View Post
    Where do you leave your unlocked car?

Yes; address, please.