Thread: Flash Photos With LF

Flash Photos With LF

how often do u use flash in LF? and how to do that? i am not pros and have no studio lightning, but Metz flash , as the aperture used at least f22, how can i adjust the light output?

Flash Photos With LF

There are a few very basic solutions. Move the light source closer to the subject, you don't have to move the camera, just the light source. Use higher speed film. Use multiple pops from the flash.

Even with 3200 watt seconds of power pack I often employ the multiple pop technique. Before adding the second power pack I was using 400 speed film quite often for studio work.

Flash Photos With LF

You connect the flash to your shutter via a "PC cord" that connects to teh little post with a hole in it. These are available in different lengths. You don't mention which size Metz unit you have, but the big ones (the 45 and the 60) will have more than enough 'juice' to get you to F/22, and there is always the possibility of using ISO 400 films. If you don't have a flash meter use the auto circuit built into the flash.

Flash Photos With LF

Or, if you really want a low-tech way...just use a slow shutter speed and fire the flash off yourself after you press the shutter---or if it's dark enough, just expose on T or B, and have at it with the flash....I have messed around with old folding cameras this way, and it works pretty good...I can fire off a Vivitar 283 by the test button, after I push the shutter at a 1/15th of a second or so....I wouldn't shoot any paying jobs this way though.....