Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: One of my photos was appropriated (maybe)

Re: One of my photos was appropriated (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    Where did you get that idea?

Rick "not a lawyer" Denney
    I'm confusing it with a patent I guess.... my mistake. I have a client who is religious about getting his copyright the "real" way. I may have misheard him about the rules.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    I think I would need a bottle of Walker to see these 2 pictures as a copy of each other...
    Didn't mean to imply they were copies, but rather alike in overall composition. Considering that the Richard's case was a photo vs. a color painting with added elements (thus, not exact copies), I thought these two images were somewhat relevant. Besides, it's never too early to drink.
    Chuck Kimmerle
    www.chuckkimmerle.com

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lockrey View Post
    I'm confusing it with a patent I guess.... my mistake. I have a client who is religious about getting his copyright the "real" way. I may have misheard him about the rules.
    No worries.

(But patents were originally 14 years. They changed to 17 years in 1861 and 20 years in 1995. They were renewable for one additional 7-year term between 1835 and 1861--maybe your client is a historian. )

Rick "who long worked for a company that took IP very seriously" Denney

I think this is all getting a bit blown out of proportion. I was initially upset when I found what looked like a copy of one of my images and thought it wasn't the right thing for a painter to do. I now know otherwise and am trying to be flattered instead. I think my writing sounded stronger than I actually felt. This would have been a much better conversation face to face, over a beer or two. I guess we all find our own inspiration where we can. My health is fine, I haven't lost any sleep over this.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Kimmerle View Post
    Richard, it may not be as nefarious as you think. I once got an email from a guy who, with little tact, accused me of copying navigation icons from his website (circles with arrows inside). He was adamant that they were HIS and that I stole them. When I informed, and prove to, him that the icons I used were included in one of the Photoshop shapes menus, he was quite apologetic. He actually thought he invented that design.

As another example, I give you two photos. One is yours, another mine from 2009. With some exceptions, the photos are extremely alike. Depending on when you shot yours, one of the other of us could be accused of copying.

So before you take action you may later regret, it might be best to take a step back and, as others have suggested, consider the possibility that this was simply a coincidence.

Chuck
    http://www.chuckkimmerle.com
    Some stunning work on your site Chuck.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    No worries.

(But patents were originally 14 years. They changed to 17 years in 1861 and 20 years in 1995. They were renewable for one additional 7-year term between 1835 and 1861--maybe your client is a historian. )

Rick "who long worked for a company that took IP very seriously" Denney
    Methinks it's pharmacy patents that are 7 years.... too many rules and regulations to keep up with.
    Greg Lockrey

Money is just a tool.

multiplex

SNIP

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    And... it has been a long established practice for illustrators to pay for original or stock photography made by professionals. Some real professionals actually still do this, and you can bet any decent ad agency and/or prudent corporate buyer has checked this out and has an indemnification clause in their contract with the illustrator.

that is how atget started out ... a failed painter who took up photography to sell stock photography
    to painters ...

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    I think this is all getting a bit blown out of proportion. I was initially upset when I found what looked like a copy of one of my images and thought it wasn't the right thing for a painter to do. I now know otherwise and am trying to be flattered instead. I think my writing sounded stronger than I actually felt. This would have been a much better conversation face to face, over a beer or two. I guess we all find our own inspiration where we can. My health is fine, I haven't lost any sleep over this.
    While I was in the Navy stationed in Charleston, SC, I was photographing over the Navy yard at the sunset and happened to capture a shot of a jet passing through the sun and looking like a "Peace" sign. That was 1972.... now how many more "Peace" signs were shot since then?
    Greg Lockrey

Money is just a tool.

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    SNIP

that is how atget started out ... a failed painter who took up photography to sell stock photography
    to painters ...
    I went the other way.... a photographer who could sell more of my scribbles with paint and found out there was a market for prints... now I print for about 125 artists.
    Greg Lockrey

Money is just a tool.

I made a photograph of a distinctive tree in a National Park im North Carolina some years back and had to hike to do it. Last year, I came across a painting of the same tree which was dated before I made the neg..everybody has access to the world...ec