Thread: Waking up an Epson 4900

Waking up an Epson 4900

Set up my new Epson 4900 last night and printed some test prints. Worked great. Checked on it this morning and found it sitting there looking like it is off - no lights, nothing on the display panel. The manual mentions a sleep mode. Anyone know if it looks off when it is asleep, or whether it has actually turned itself off. How do you wake it up when it is asleep? It is on ethernet and is offline to the computer, meaning that there is no waking it from the computer.

LJ Segil

Re: Waking up an Epson 4900

If it is asleep hitting the OK button should wake it up. Failing that, try pouring some coffee on it and sending it back to Epson. It is not, in my experience (trying to run it wireless as a USB printer off an Apple base station, which Epson says it was not intended to be able to do) an easy printer to use. Maybe because of my wireless connection, or maybe because of the nature of the beast, it seems to require pretty constant attention, which is kind of annoying for me as it sits in a room away from the computer (hence the wireless). Does make pretty pictures, however, which I guess is the point of the whole thing.
    Larry

I have had mine for a week. When sleeping, the tiny green led on the panel stays on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Richards View Post
    Set up my new Epson 4900 last night and printed some test prints. Worked great. Checked on it this morning and found it sitting there looking like it is off - no lights, nothing on the display panel. The manual mentions a sleep mode. Anyone know if it looks off when it is asleep, or whether it has actually turned itself off. How do you wake it up when it is asleep? It is on ethernet and is offline to the computer, meaning that there is no waking it from the computer.
    David Aimone Photography
    Critiques always welcome...

Thanks David, I will look for the tiny green light.

Larry - you might try powerline ethernet adapters. I use these to get the signal from my cable box to my office/dog house, which is in the garage. They look just like an ethernet link to the systems so they do not have the issues that USB/wireless does.

I also posted a note to Epson this morning. I just got an email from them that they have posted a new firmware update that fixes this.