Page 4 of 59 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Harman Direct Positive Images

Re: Harman Direct Positive Images

Its very nice in pinhole cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by Maris Rusis View Post
    Harman Direct Positive Paper offers a rare opportunity to display camera-original material as a final product.

In aesthetic terms it represents the shortest possible distance between subject and photograph and has a special power and magic because of that. There are philosophical implications about photographic truth, indexicality, absence of manipulation, credibility and trust in the image, and so on. That's going to be the basis of my spiel when (if) I get enough DPP photographs together to mount a gallery scale exhibition.
    Maris, I'm fascinated by your thesis, and look forward to reading more. I appreciate the Harman paper also because it presents an in-camera original photograph with the qualities of a fiber based, double-weight, "gallery quality" print. It's slow photographic speed and one-of-a-kind positive image remind me a lot of wet plate collodion in that respect.

~Joe
    The photograph and the thing being photographed are not the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Ok this photo has me confused, I hope I am not crazy here.

But Why isn't the shutter open if this is a self portrait into a mirror?
    It's not a mirror portrait, just a studio shot from a Tachihara 810HD 8x10 triple extension field view camera. The only extra gadget involved is an Auto-Knips self timer attached to the cable release of the Fujinon-W 300/5.6 lens on the 8x10 Tachi. The "Old Time Photographer" is posing with a 4x5 Tachihara 45GF on a Manfrotto 390 tripod for "stylish" effect.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

thanks, I thought I was losing it for a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris Rusis View Post
    It's not a mirror portrait, just a studio shot from a Tachihara 810HD 8x10 triple extension field view camera. The only extra gadget involved is an Auto-Knips self timer attached to the cable release of the Fujinon-W 300/5.6 lens on the 8x10 Tachi. The "Old Time Photographer" is posing with a 4x5 Tachihara 45GF on a Manfrotto 390 tripod for "stylish" effect.

I guess they're making the paper for their new camera.

Ilford Photo launches 5x4in pinhole camera

A pinhole camera that can record images on 5x4in positive paper will go on sale next month, the owner of the Ilford film brand has confirmed.

The British-made Harman Titan, a prototype of which was shown at the Focus on Imaging show six months ago, will cost £150.
    http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...ws_309687.html

http://www.bjp-online.com/british-jo...pinhole-camera
    "There are two dirty words in photography; one is 'art', and the other is 'good taste'." - Helmut Newton

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CantikFotos View Post
    Notice how the film is loaded? Yep, just like a Hostilux!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
    Here are examples of developer tests using the Harman direct positive paper.

The first set has two test strips. The top one, medium gray, was unexposed paper developed using used paper developer that otherwise produces nice paper negatives using grade 2 paper and an extended development. As you can see, even with an extended development time, the paper would not get any darker than medium gray.

The second strip was after the addition of some makeup liquid concentrate into the used developer batch. The result is a darker shade of gray, but still mottled and uneven development.

The third test strip is a pure black tone, achieved by using fresh paper developer. It seems pretty clear that the Harman paper requires fresh developer for each session. It will give you much more consistent results.

~Joe

I've noticed EXACTLY the SAME thing when I was doing direct positives using regular paper--if I didn't use FRESH developer it didn't get black enough....oh well..I thought that the dir positive paper would save me trouble in that way, but I guess NOT...same trouble...of course you don't have to bleach the dir positive stuff......so that's still a plus....

A brief session today in bright sunlight, just before noon local sun time. 4x5 Anniversary Speed Graphic with Ektar 127mm lens at F/8. Preflashed Harman direct positive FB paper, exposures 2 and 4 seconds respectively.

~Joe

The photograph and the thing being photographed are not the same thing.

JoeV, I think the second one is better.
    Tom.

Between here and there

JoeV, if they were taken at noon, the shadows looks strange to me. Are you sure they aren't posted upside down?