Page 1 of 59 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Harman Direct Positive Images

Harman Direct Positive Images

I thought I'd start a new thread specifically for images exposed on the new Harman Direct Positive paper. Efke's positive paper images also welcome, of course.

I've been working with the 4x5 fiber-based version of Harman's Direct Positive paper for a few months, and also have several packs of the 8x10 that I need to work with.

Today's still-lifes were exposed under the indirect north-facing light of my back porch, using a WWII-era Anniversary Speed Graphic and 127mm Ektar lens. The first two images are with the lens wide open at f/4.7, while the last image is stopped down to f/16. With bellows extension the working apertures were f/7.5 and f/26 respectively.

I give this paper a slight preflash prior to exposure, and rate the paper at a working exposure index of 1.6. Metering was reflective using a Gossen Luna Pro F.

The paper was developed in Ilford PQ liquid diluted 1+15.

Scans of the direct prints were done in color mode to retain some of the emulsion's tone.

~Joe

Bowl (2 second exposure):

Robot Rider (3 second exposure):

Gourd Birds (15 second exposure):
    The photograph and the thing being photographed are not the same thing.

Re: Harman Direct Positive Images

Last week I captured onto Harman Direct Positive FB paper several images of this Lasko fan, which I purchased at a thrift shop, to decorate my newly refurnished office.

4x5 Speed Graphic, 150mm binocular lens (from a 7x50 binocular) stopped down to 20mm aperture. Lighting was from the right side of the subject (the left side in the reversed direct positive image) through an afternoon-lit window. Preflashed, as is my usual procedure. Scanned in color mode to retain the paper's tone.

~Joe

Portrait under indirect north light. Harman Direct Positive FB paper in 4x5 Speed Graphic, 127mm Ektar lens. 6 second exposure. She did a great job of not moving or blinking. Scanned in B/W mode, otherwise in color the paper scans with a bit of a greenish tone.

~Joe

Old-time Photographer

Gelatin-silver photograph on Harman Direct Positive Paper 8x10 exposed in a Tachihara 810HD triple extension field view camer fitted with a Fujinon-W 300mm f5.6 lens.

The Harman Direct positive Paper was pre-flashed to reduce contrast and then given a camera exposure of 3 seconds at f5.6. Development was in Dektol 1+2, fix was in Hypam 1+4, and a 30 minute archival wash followed. Lighting was from a skylight in a traditionally arranged photographic studio without electricity. This photograph like all direct positive reflective images (Daguerreotypes, Ambrotypes, Tintypes for example) is mirror reversed with respect to the subject.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

Great stuff here guys.
    Maris, do you have a picture of this studio?

Maris,
    Did you buy the direct positive paper in Australia?

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Tom J McDonald View Post
    Great stuff here guys.
    Maris, do you have a picture of this studio?
    No good pictures of the studio but lots within it. The studio I had built as part of my house. The idea was to use natural light instead of flash or tunsten, just like the 19th century all over again. Unfortunately I ran out of money and had to settle for a lower ceiling height which makes heads brighter than feet. A 1 stop soft edge ND grad filter takes care of the inequality and the studio works a treat.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

Quote Originally Posted by jonreid View Post
    Maris,
    Did you buy the direct positive paper in Australia?

Jon
    The paper came from Harman direct after a bit of argy-bargy. Harman originally quoted their domestic UK price which I challenged as too high. Their international price is a lot lower because it does not include VAT.

The Direct Positive Paper RC44M 8x10, pk of 100 at GBP 86.21 landed in my hands at AUD$136.21 all up. Transit time was about 2 weeks.

DPP is a high contrast short scale material intolerant of exposure and processing error. My first 50 sheets went on testing and calibrating. Expensive but interesting.

Some people are bullfighters, CCB's Avatar

Joe, Where are you buying your paper? Chris

Quote Originally Posted by CCB View Post
    Joe, Where are you buying your paper? Chris
    I purchase mine from Freestyle Photo. The first batch of 4x5's was on backorder for several months, earlier this spring, but a later order, with both 4x5 and 8x10, shipped much quicker. I think as more and more people start to use this paper the shipping will be more consistent. Best to stock up, when you do order.

~Joe