Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Reciprocity Timer 1.0

Re: Reciprocity Timer 1.0

Thanks for your prompt action on our suggestions, esp. the bell - makes for a better product and happy user base! Will note this in itunes.

Hi Again! So I have implemented bellows extension with 2 sliders between 30mm and 600mm as you can see in the screen grab below.

Now - my concern is that the sliders are a bit difficult to adjust accurately over such a large range. Eventually I might push focal length out into a setup page where you enter your and select your lens. But right now I want to get this updated for you guys that have already downloaded it.

My question is - what accuracy do you guys use when measuring this stuff? The sliders would be easier to use if I made them move in 5mm increments (for example). But will this make the accuracy of the exposure calculation unacceptable? I am thinking about making the sliders go 30,35,40,45 etc... in my tests it seems to take a change of around 5mm to change exposure by 1 second on a 10 second exposure.

I am a bit concerned that anyone with big fingers might struggle to set the sliders right where they want them.

Any thoughts?

That looks much better. For me, the 5mm increments would be fine.

Is the first slider in the picture a filter factor adjustment?

If possible, it would be nice to have a link to a table of common filter factors.

By the way, is the updated version available? I can't find it. Thanks.

Ok - I'll roll it up at 5mm increments. It just makes it easier to use.

The first slider is filter factor -yes. I agree a table would be nice. Some of those features will be part of a bigger app I have in mind that will incorporate this functionality. It'll take a bit longer to do though!

The updated version wont be available until Apple approves it. That usually takes 5-7 days. Once it's approved it'll just appear as an update within App Store on your phone and you'll be able to install it from there.

Glad to see the support. I've just purchased it.

Can you explain how this works, do you now need to set the bellows at the the len focal length each time you use it? So 90 for a 90mm lens when there is no bellow ext to worry about?

Sorry my bad another look at the image and I see that the len / bellow is separate and just gives a stop value to add

Smile Re: Reciprocity Timer 1.0

Ok guys. After spending all day on this... here's where I am at.

I have added a table of filter values - some may need a bit of editing. I based the data on this page at Wikipedia.

Someone let me know if they are no good - I rarely use any of these so aren't sure. Some of the values look a bit high to me.

Effectively you will now be able to hit the little circular blue arrow button to access a list of filters. These can be added (as many as you like) to the exposure calculation. You can clear them all out as well.

The slider is now just an additional compensation device for times when your filter isn't in the list - like my Lee Big Stopper!

So basically there are 4 things that impact the exposure time. Film and Metered Time selection, the adjustment slider (in Whole, Half or Third Stops), the Filters you add and the Bellows Compensation you set.

I need to do some more testing before I release this to Apple for approval but thought you might like to see the progress so far. It's now a pretty complex app so I need to re-make-sure I don't have any memory leaks etc.

Hopefully Apple will have it tomorrow so you guys should get an update about a week or so later.

Future additions will include ability to add and manage your own filters and lenses but I might need to do some work for some actual clients tomorrow!

Here's some pix...

Do or do not. There is no try.

This is a really useful app, thanks for undertaking it.

The new additions look great. I'm not sure you really need to carry around the UV and Skylight filters.

What would be really cool, and a lot more work, would be a light meter (spot, of course) with this functionality. As good as this app is, metering is still a 2-step process - read the exposure, then compensate for reciprocity. It's always been thus. But imagine one of those Sekonic meters, that already contains a micro, that gives direct exposure time when you're in fixed-aperture mode. That would be sweet!

Hmmm, I have a friend with contacts at Sekonic...

This is perfect. Don't clutter it up with a personal lens library or anything like that--no need to have to maintain a database that then can't be transferred to a new phone.

For those focused in the far field who don't need a bellows extension factor, one can just leave the sliders all the way to the left with no need to worry about the focal length.

And if someone doesn't want to use the timer, they don't have to. I like software that provides features that stay out of the way when not needed.

And as for me, I don't need this capability in a meter. I want the meter to be simple and predictable, with the fewest number of buttons to push. I think that desire is pretty common, and the reason the classic Pentax spot meters are still so popular.

Rick "who bought it already and is looking forward to the upgrade" Denney