Thread: Search won't work

Search won't work

Recently I have tried to do a search on this site. I get a message,"We're sorry...," which explains why my search can't be completed. This didn't used to happen. I have tried on different computers. Is there something wrong with the search function on the site? Do I need to do anything new to use this function?

Thanks,

David

Re: Search won't work

Works fine for me. How are you using it (i.e. "advanced," key word, titles only, entire threads, etc.)?
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by David Solow View Post
    Recently I have tried to do a search on this site. I get a message,"We're sorry...," which explains why my search can't be completed. This didn't used to happen. I have tried on different computers. Is there something wrong with the search function on the site? Do I need to do anything new to use this function?...
    Did you recently download IE9? There appear to be incompatibilities between the version of vBulletin software that this site uses and IE9. Thus far, I've been unable to get an answer from the forum's technical support team as to whether they expect a vBulletin upgrade (other sites using later versions don't have the problem) in the near future or have any intention of patching the code.

Tom???????

I'm using IE9 here with no problems.

I am using Safari 5.0.6. I had been on this site for months without a problem, and then suddenly the search won't work. My wife and I have similar computers with the same browser. I have also tried Google Chrome with the same result.

david

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    I'm using IE9 here with no problems.
    Under which OS? Mine is running under Vista.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Under which OS? Mine is running under Vista.
    Vista.

Thanks for your suggestions. I am now able to search within the site, when I have checked in and am using the search button on the menu at the top of the Forums page; however, I am not able to search using the search on the opening page (Google search). This may be a problem with Google, not with your site. I am using Safari 5.0.6. I had added virus protection to my computer and updated Safari, before this problem started. Even with my virus protection turned off, I still can't search from the opening page. This is not a big deal, since I can now search from within the site. I just thought I would mention it, in case others had a similar problem and a simple solution.

It seems that the free site search feature we're using on the Home Page has been discontinued by Google. I emailed Tuan about it.

As a workaround until it's fixed, you can just go to google.com and append 'site:largeformatphotography.info' to your search terms to get results only from this site.