Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Midwest Portfolio Showing January 28, 2012

Re: Midwest Portfolio Showing January 28, 2012

The group's pretty informal-no pre-registration required. Just come to the conference room(look for a bunch of people milling around carrying prints ) at the hotel on the appointed day and enjoy.

If you decide to grab a room at the hotel, mention you're with the Midwest Large Format group when you reserve as I believe that if the hotel gets a certain number of reservations they will provide the conference room for free or at least a reduced cost-otherwise participants are welcome to make a voluntary donation to cover some of the cost.
    We usually order lunch from a local restaurant that delivers.

I hope you can make it.

Colleen

Oops, looks like Rick beat me to the post reply button
    Last edited by Colleen K; 1-Sep-2011 at 10:07. Reason: postscript

While there are images in the forum gallery, not many people scan their finished mounted prints. And that's actually the point. The portfolio viewing is about looking at actual prints - and yes, some members do inkjet prints for display in addition to the silver and alt process prints that are shown.

This is kind of like a classical photography class critique where a person puts out his prints and then the collective views them, with comments and questions. There is no contest and no one is deemed better than someone else. There's very little pontificating about art or feelings or whatever. The prints do the talking. :-) It's also similar to a photography workshop in the sense that because we (as a group) go on outings together, many of the prints are of identical subjects all photographed at the same time.

And to reinforce Rick's comments, I personally see no sense in making a digital copy of an 8x20 negative printed carbon transfer to be viewed on someone's iphone. Our print viewing is also about viewing prints as objects, something that is forgotten by many who view images on a screen at 72 dpi.

Looking at PRINTS is almost as important as making them. They actually go hand-in-hand. In order to get better you must do both.

Besides, what else can we do this time of year in Chicago? You really can't photograph when it's 10 below and the wind is 30 MPH.

Come on now John, the weather isn't always that bad in January, just on the portfolio weekend.

It's always an eye opener when I see what work people have done over the past year.

I have been the last two years and intend to go next January.
    Great show, Good work. Enjoyable People.

John

Marking my calendar for this portfolio showing now. Now back to the darkroom to finish up this all-carbon-prints portfolio I'll be showing.

"I never tried to prove nothing, just always wanted to give a good show. My life has been my music; it's always come first, but the music ain't worth nothing if you can't lay it on the public."

----Louis Armstrong

Come show your prints in January.

Final plans are being made for the 5th anniversary of our portfolio showing of LF prints. Come join us in Chesterton, Indiana on the 28th. It's free and all are welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by rcjtapio View Post
    Final plans are being made for the 5th anniversary of our portfolio showing of LF prints. Come join us in Chesterton, Indiana on the 28th. It's free and all are welcome.
    Only 2 weeks away....hope you're thinking about coming.

If you live within 300 miles and like LF photography, you will enjoy this get together...Evan Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by John Jarosz View Post
    While there are images in the forum gallery, not many people scan their finished mounted prints. And that's actually the point. The portfolio viewing is about looking at actual prints - and yes, some members do inkjet prints for display in addition to the silver and alt process prints that are shown.

This is kind of like a classical photography class critique where a person puts out his prints and then the collective views them, with comments and questions. There is no contest and no one is deemed better than someone else. There's very little pontificating about art or feelings or whatever. The prints do the talking. :-) It's also similar to a photography workshop in the sense that because we (as a group) go on outings together, many of the prints are of identical subjects all photographed at the same time.

And to reinforce Rick's comments, I personally see no sense in making a digital copy of an 8x20 negative printed carbon transfer to be viewed on someone's iphone. Our print viewing is also about viewing prints as objects, something that is forgotten by many who view images on a screen at 72 dpi.

Looking at PRINTS is almost as important as making them. They actually go hand-in-hand. In order to get better you must do both.

Besides, what else can we do this time of year in Chicago? You really can't photograph when it's 10 below and the wind is 30 MPH.
    The question about viewing in the FORUM was asked only because the OP said "Photos from our previous years "lockdowns" . . . can be found in the FORUM section on our website." And when I went there I didn't see any photos. So I asked. I understand the benefits of seeing original prints rather than on-line images.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.