Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Midwest Portfolio Showing January 28, 2012

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Midwest Portfolio Showing January 28, 2012

Get your portfolio ready. The Midwest Large Format Asylum will hold it's fifth portfolio review on Saturday, January 28th, 2012 at the Best Western Indian Oaks Motel in Chesterton, Indiana. If you love images made with large format capture, this will be the place to be.

Many participants arrive a day ahead on Friday for an afternoon of shooting as Chesterton is only a few miles from the Lake Michigan shoreline and the Indiana Dunes. Many others come just on Saturday for this free event.

We will expect to show between 15 and 25 portfolios. If there is time, we have also offered short talks on such subjects as carbon printing, mixing your own chemistry and creativity, to name a few.

Photos from our previous years "lockdowns" and more up to date information can be found in the FORUM section on our website:

www.midwestlargeformat.com

Hope you will consider joining us. Large format photographers from Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, Michigan and Ohio will be joining us.

Rick Tapio

Re: Midwest Portfolio Showing January 28, 2012

This is a top shelf get together...EC

Quote Originally Posted by rcjtapio View Post
    Get your portfolio ready. The Midwest Large Format Asylum will hold it's fifth portfolio review on Saturday, January 28th, 2012 at the Best Western Indian Oaks Motel in Chesterton, Indiana. If you love images made with large format capture, this will be the place to be.

Many participants arrive a day ahead on Friday for an afternoon of shooting as Chesterton is only a few miles from the Lake Michigan shoreline and the Indiana Dunes. Many others come just on Saturday for this free event.

We will expect to show between 15 and 25 portfolios. If there is time, we have also offered short talks on such subjects as carbon printing, mixing your own chemistry and creativity, to name a few.

Photos from our previous years "lockdowns" and more up to date information can be found in the FORUM section on our website:

www.midwestlargeformat.com

Hope you will consider joining us. Large format photographers from Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, Michigan and Ohio will be joining us.

Rick Tapio
    I didn't see any portfolios in the FORUM section. Does one have to register to view them?
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    I didn't see any portfolios in the FORUM section. Does one have to register to view them?
    Yep. There's no cost involved, nor any other commitment, and Frank won't sell your e-mail address to fund his strange addition to Efke 25 film.

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

I believe you can click on the Gallery button in the forum section and see posted photos without registering.(most of the forum topics are only visible with registration)

I'm greatly looking forward to this event and plan on driving down Friday afternoon/evening this year instead of getting up super early to drive down Saturday morning like I usually do.
    The prints are always fabulous and it's just an all around good time.

Colleen

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Do you accept Canadians?
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

Yes, Canadians are welcome. I believe there is even a forum member from Italy so you don't really have to be in the Midwest

Colleen

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Quote Originally Posted by Colleen K View Post
    Yes, Canadians are welcome. ........
    Colleen
    That's great! Think I will try to come. So, just book a room? Register with you?
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

It's great you are thinking of coming. Here are some specifics:

- You would make your motel arrangements directly with the motel
    - It is a free event (although it is not unheard of to have a donation box)
    - Eveybody pays for their own food
    ------usually we go out as a group to a Chilies for supper Friday & Saturday night
    ------there is a nice diner in town for breakfast (I believe it is Peggy Sue's)
    ------the day of the review, we take lunch orders as you arrive & cater it in
    - we usually start at 9:00 am & go until all portfolios are seen
    - usually we draw numbers out of a hat to determine the order
    - we will provide the viewing lights & light boxes for transparencies

we are an informal group and are open to all comments & suggestions. If I had to guess, I would say our average number of portfolios is around 17 or 18. Turnout depends on weather as it is January and roads can get bad. There are always a few people who come just to look & enjoy so my guess is the average number of people attending is around 20-25.

Hope that helps.

Rick

The group's pretty informal-no pre-registration required. Just come to the conference room(look for a bunch of people milling around carrying prints ) at the hotel on the appointed day and enjoy.

If you decide to grab a room at the hotel, mention you're with the Midwest Large Format group when you reserve as I believe that if the hotel gets a certain number of reservations they will provide the conference room for free or at least a reduced cost-otherwise participants are welcome to make a voluntary donation to cover some of the cost.
    We usually order lunch from a local restaurant that delivers.

I hope you can make it.

Colleen

Oops, looks like Rick beat me to the post reply button
    Last edited by Colleen K; 1-Sep-2011 at 10:07. Reason: postscript