Thread: a possible '5x7" digital'??

a possible '5x7" digital'??

Well, I happen to be among the people who could occasionally dream of owning a PhaseOne IQ180 digi back... but my second concern (after not being able or willing to spend that amount of money in a million years) is: What about our lovely, accurate ground glass framing and fine focusing??? I would really miss that!

Maybe just a stupid thought, but why not couple the back with a future, retina-display version of an iPad capable of handling a (down-res'ed) live-feed from the sensor? That would basically give you a 5x7" gg. Developing a proper hood (like the one on the back of a Technika) and a smart tripod fixture and one could be up and running. What about checking critical focus? Not that I can even remotely manage the technical challenges here, but apple's smooth working double-tap-to-zoom-in would be a nice way of checking full resolution of a portion of the frame.

But... is this concept already developed to a much more elaborate stage than what has struck my mind or does it have technical or practical limitations that would rule it out immediately?

share your thoughts
    Last edited by mortensen; 29-Aug-2011 at 14:02.

Re: a possible '5x7" digital'??

It would be quite heavy...

An ipad and a digital back fitted to a tiny technical camera vs. the bulk of a 5x7" system? I would say feather weight...

I've pondered the same dilemma. I'm shooting with a Leaf Aptus-65 on a P-2, meaning total eye-strain to focus properly. BUT...running the sensor in "shutter-open-live-view" means battery drain...LOTS! (I'm assuming field applications here). Aren't there already accommodations for "live-view" in studio? The general idea of a technical "handheld-electronic-GG" however is appealing. How to engineer......

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    It would be quite heavy...
    Shouldn't be. An iPad is larger than 5x7 and not that heavy, and has great battery life too, as such things go. Ok, the iPad doesn't have the retina display of the iPhone but that's mostly because it's not necessary in the iPad. Might or not be for a viewer like this.

... as the iPad develops, it should be up for the task. But what is probably more likely (if such a gadget will ever be developed) is that PhaseOne/Leaf would couple such a thing with a battery pack and a huge flash storage. PhaseOne already incorporated a retina-like display with gestures on their recent backs - so why not follow apple all the way?