Page 72 of 654 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122172572 ... LastLast

Thread: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

Re: Images shot on X-ray film

@ Randy and @ Vaughn

Hey friends, that are really helpful answers.
    I´m thinking to go 5x7 with my Sinar because the difference of the rear frame holder is not to big compared to 4x5. And cheaper too. The format adapter plus the complete back incl. groundglass is not very expensive today in used condition. I have to look for a not very contrasty film too - I think there is some to buy. A 200 ISO type film should be the right one.
    I´m glad that someone else let process the x-ray film at the doctors lab too. BTW, the nurse isn´t really good looking but that fact is not very important.
    Thank you for helping with X-ray photography.
    George

Orthochromatic film would be perfect for classical portraits - white faces, black lips - I love that old fashioned look.
    George

Orthochromatic film would be perfect for classical portraits - white faces, black lips - I love that old fashioned look.
    George
    Or make freckles come out where you did not realize there were freckles...and his lips do look darker!

(and one learns about red clothes!)

And tossed in a detail of his brother, Bryce. (He has much darker complextion than Calder.

Vaughn

Platinum/palladium prints
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Calder, 8x10P.jpg   Calder, Detail.jpg   Bryce, Detail.jpg  

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Portraits with x-ray film are great. I've posted this before but seeing as how it has come up again here is my youngest son. We were have some fun with my Fresnel. Boy this new attachment stuff is bizzare.... or is it all the wine I'm drinking???Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kevin-glass-2011-copy.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	12.6 KB 
ID:	70301

Montreal , Canada. Los Angeles, California

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Portraits with x-ray film are great. I've posted this before but seeing as how it has come up again here is my youngest son. We were have some fun with my Fresnel. Boy this new attachment stuff is bizzare.... or is it all the wine I'm drinking???Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kevin-glass-2011-copy.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	12.6 KB 
ID:	70301
    Nice work as usual my friend. I see a little triangle on the face now. You are getting close. Cheers.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Still working on the lighting.... I'll get there! Need much more practice!

Re: X-ray Film example and comparison.

I have finally gotten around to some testing with X-ray film. My motivations are strictly artistic and economical. I just can't afford panchromatic 8X10 film any more...good gosh! And I still have some HC-110 left so that is my developer of choice...because I still have some left.

My initial test was in coffenal cm. Negs were virtually un-usable. Way to thin.

All below are 8X10 Green latitude CSX exposed at 50 ISO, processed in HC-110 "H" (1:63) in trays with a 1 minute water pre-soak (don't know if I should have done that or not) for 8 minutes @ 68 degrees F, agitating about every 60-90 seconds by taking the bottom sheet and moving it to the top, going through the stack of four sheets that were in the soup.

I did have a safe light on (a small 15-20 watt red bulb like you might get in a small armature darkroom kit) and the bulb was covered by a white hanky and about 6 feet away from my processing station, which was in the tub that I was leaning over. No direct light from the bulb fell on the negs, only light reflecting off the ceiling. I did get some fog. I can clearly see a slight outline on one sheet of the sheet that was on top of it. I will greatly dim my safe light in the next process, or eliminate it all together.

The scratching was significant but I did not take particular care to avoid them. I was aware scratching is a problem and some have employed means to avoid that. I used ribbed 8X10 trays, but my scratches were almost entirely near the film edges - very few were more than an inch away from the edge, which leads me to believe they are occurring as I life the bottom sheet to move it to the top of the stack. I may be allowing it to drag on the top lip of the tray. I may just have to process one sheet at a time.

Any way, here some scans:

No-name 13" f/9.5 Petzval

300mm Caltar-II S

The next two were exsposed on the same sheet using the 1/2 dark slide method to get a 4X10.

Konica Hexanon GRII 150mm @ f/45

Konica Hexanon GRII 150mm @ f/9 (wide open)

All in all, I like the results. The exposures were very close to what I would like to get with panchromatic films and they are...sharp enough?

8X10 Green latitude CSX exposed at 50 ISO, processed in HC-110 "H" (1:63) in trays with a 1 minute water pre-soak (don't know if I should have done that or not) for 8 minutes @ 68 degrees F, agitating about every 60-90 seconds.

Konica Hexanon GR II 150mm

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    8X10 Green latitude CSX exposed at 50 ISO, processed in HC-110 "H" (1:63) in trays with a 1 minute water pre-soak (don't know if I should have done that or not) for 8 minutes @ 68 degrees F, agitating about every 60-90 seconds.

Konica Hexanon GR II 150mm

These look really good! nice work.

1903 Eastman View No. 1 8x10 Camera
    Konica Hexanon GRII 210mm
    Kokak B/RA X-Ray Film
    Caffenol C/M