Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Davis & Sanford Tripod?

Davis & Sanford Tripod?

I have a large 8x10 camera I need to put on tripod. Just starting out in 8x10 so trying to keep costs down a bit for now. Weight of camera + lens is in 15-18 lbs region.

Would this be sufficient or am I barking up the wrong tree:

"Davis & Sanford ProVista 7518 Tripod and Head, 75 Video Tripod With FM-18 Fluid Head and W-3 Dolly. (Head Supports up to 18 lbs., Tripods 25 lbs., extends 28" - 64")"

I've seen video head being used for 8x10 camera.

One problem I can see it that the tripod only goes to 64 inches.

It's not completely clear to me how this head work..... if I understand it it has a Clawball for levelling below the pan/tilt pivots?

Advice and ideas?

Re: Davis & Sanford Tripod?

Since you're on a budget, I'd suggest that you look around for a Davis and Sanford "Floating Action" tripod...the model "A" goes up to 7.8' and the "B" gote to 4.5'. I have one of each as well as a lighter D & S model and am well pleased with all of them. The "Floating Action" tripods have rectuangular leg tops and round bottoms and usually are seen with very basic tilting camera platforms, but are ultra sturdy, One caution, though, DO NOT loosen the height adjustment knob with your chin over the camera or camera platform...if you make that mistake, you will only do it once! The air-assist built into these to help handle the weight of large cameras will sometimes cause them to shoot up quickly, forcefully contacting a misplaced chin!!! These are heavy tripods made to use with heavy cameras and will probably hold you up as well as your camera; I've never found their weight to bother me in the field, though. These units are usually available on eBay and other such used equipment sites at very reasonable prices.

The Airlift Davis & Sanford tripod is a monster as far as weight goes & will be more than sufficient for an 8x10 but I would not want to carry one around. As Vick says, it has been known to deliver a TKO punch to unwary photographers when the pneumatic column bounces up with some force. I suggest getting something with geared head for real stability.

I suggest a Majestic tripod with a geared head, inexpensive used,
    they pop up here from time to time or search eBay

There are at least three different Davis and Sanford tripods of various sizes. The largest is ideal for 8x10 to 7x17. Check the dreaded auctin site frequently. You should be able to find one for about $100. They are so much lighter and easier to handle than a Majestic it is ridiculous.
    I am 82 and the Davis and Sanford is the easiest of my tripods to carry. It is by far the lightest and strongest for its weight of any tripod Ihave every owned including a variety of Ries and Otto wooden pods.

Thanks everyone - good advice. Yeah I to go old school with a Majestic, I'll probably get one at the next swap meet here in Montreal, so I don't have to pay for shipping the beast. Just to HAVE one!

But I agree with Jim N. - I am trying to get something more modern and light, without splurging on carbon Fiber etc. So that was my original question; if the D&S 7518 package which I can get for less than $200 including a fluid head with a levelling ball would work for me?

The question remains if this new package is up to snuff, for a 15-18 lbs 8x10 camera + lens? Or suitable for a 8x10 situation rather then for prosumer video, for which this package was built.

Theoretically it is...

/gth

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I'm not familiar with the D&S tripod but the weight of your camera and lens falls at the limit of its specs.

If your camera is a monorail, then I strongly recommend using 2 tripod blocks to mount the camera on the tripod instead of just one. Combined with a good tripod and head using 2 blocks will result in a marked improvement in system stability. Just a few weeks ago I found the perfect tripod and head for my set-up - Toyo 810G (~18lbs) - right here on this forum: Gitzo G1500 tripod (9.5lbs) and Gitzo G1570M head (2.9lbs) for just a few dollars more than what the D&S tripod is selling for new. This combination provides a solid support for a heavy set-up

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C. View Post
    I suggest a Majestic tripod with a geared head, inexpensive used,
    they pop up here from time to time or search eBay
    I'm with Jim. A functional Majestic will blow the doors off a Davis & Sanford. It might be a trifle heavier, but I will take a 1600 or 1900 Majestic head over anything D&S offers. I replaced the ball head on my Cambo studio stand with a Majestic 1900. While the ball head is wonderful, it doesn't allow the precision adjustments that a studio stand is designed for (and why you purchase one).
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

I have a Davis and Sanford A which goes to 4.5 ft and a B which goes to about 8ft. The B is a beater I bought at a flee market for $10 but has helped when I need its perspective, the A is my normal tripod for a Cambo 4x5 monorail it is rock solid. I use a Gitzo rational 4 head on it with the screw top, just a cover on the column with a wide screw for attaching the Gitzo. I have never shot 8x10 with it but it is more than enough with a big 4x5 with long extensions doing 2x macro shots. I also have the small square legged D&S that I have had since college, I use it for everything from 35 to a 4x5 Linhof, a remarkably strong light weight tripod. I really dislike the D&S large heads, very inflexible.

Tom

What about using a " fluid head" (intended for video cams) for 8x10?
    Any problems?

/gth