Thread: Metz Flash?

Metz Flash?

I've a chance to buy a used 60 series Metz flash for around $250. My thinking is , I can use this for 6*6 and 4*5 hand held portraits under a lot of diverse ligh t condtions. I've got two questions: first, is there some reason that pros drop these on the market because of some problem the unit develops. Is a used Metz a liability. Anything I should know about looking at one? Second, is there a good book that covers the creative use of this flash. I shoot mostly black and white, only a little color. Does this flash work with daylight color film? Thanks.

Metz Flash?

David, I have had a number of different flashes over the years, and I prefer Metz over all other handheld and shoemount flashes.

That said, the 60 series has one major disadvantage in that it has that separate battery pack. My first big strobe was a two-piece unit, and I found that having your camera tied to your waist with a cable gets old in a hurry, unless you simply MUST have all that light.

$250 strikes me as on the upper end for a 60-1 - that's the one that doesn't take dedicated modules. Pretty reasonable for a 60-4, and if it's another model than those two, it's not current and that could cause problems.

It is definitely usable for handheld portraits, and it is intended for use with daylight color film. You might keep shopping and look for a 45-series, as a suggestion. They aren't as powerful as the 60's, but they have a battery pack in the handle, making them a lot more convenient if you don't need the power.

Oh - and get yourself a Stroboframe instead of the Metz camera bracket.

Tony

Metz Flash?

Generally the light is very good especially with the wide angel filter that fits over the head. The 60 has it attached under the head and slides in place while the 45's are detached, seperate.

Watch out for the dryfit or Nicad batteries. Make sure they hold a charge. Old batteries will loose their capacity to hold a full charge. If you have access to a flash meter, make sure the auto settings work and are what they say they are, one stop difference. CHeck it out thuroughly, sometimes with electronic items like that, it's best to buy a new one.

Metz Flash?

IF you shoot 35mm, have you tried an existing flash first?

I'm not up on the Metz line although I did look at it to use for 4x5. I seem to remember that there were only a couple of the units that could surpass my Nikon SB26. I think the CT4 and the 50 series were two. Most tho were not as powerful, so I figured I may as well use mine and save the money. The one thing that i did notice when checking out different flashes, was that alot of manufacturers rate their GN's at different flash angles. Watch this as although one may have a higher number, seeming stronger, it may be rated for a greater focal length, I.E. smaller flash angle.

Recently I've seen Sigma come out with a new unit that was very strong and had alot of features. I also think it went quite wide, so this may be importnat to you. I belive that $250 would go a long way to buying one. This might be the way to go, as I can't see the older bulbs not aging and causing a tempature loss. Another thing to consider for color work. I use a Wein infrared and attached the receiver to the SB26. No cords to fool with, and I know the flash very well now, so it works for me. I can go 24mm wide. Tape a diffusor on it from a Rosco sample pack and you've got some nice light at very little loss.

Metz Flash?

I've got three 45 series Metz flashes and I think very highly of them. The 60 is a much larger flash and is just a tiny bit out of mainstream. By that I mean is that it's going to be little more difficult to get third part products for it such as Stofen filters. You can get 'em mind you, but shops will stock 45 series stuff and special order product for the 60.

The 60 also takes its own dedicated ni-cad battery and I much prefer a Quantum 2 non ni-cad type.

You should also realize that the differences in power between these flashes isn't as much as we would like to think. 45 is a guide number in metric which measures out to f45, well 60 is not quite a stop more powerfull, assuming that we even believe the propaganda.

So in conclusion I prefer the smaller more common 45 series over the 60.

Metz Flash?

These are the standard for wedding shooters.The CT-60's sometime develope slow recycle times.Ive bought many used Metz,never had a problem.

Metz Flash?

I bought a NEW w/nicad 45 CL-4 not 3 months ago for $300. I know you can get them at KEH new for 325. Keep in mind that the battery pack on a 60 is an expensive item if it needs to be replaced. For all the reasons previosly stated by others I think the 45 is a better all around unit even with 1 stop difference.

Kevin Kolosky

Metz Flash?

David

I too have owned a couple of the CT060s. They were a good unit. My only problem with them is that they didn't have enough power at times and there was no way to add power to them. So I went to Lumedyne which was all manual for awhile. then I discovered the Quantum X-2 which you can put 400 watt seconds into. Plenty of power and works wonderfully.

As for your other question, Dean Collins put out a tape entitled "Studio Portraits" in his basic lighting series. In that tape Dean uses a metz 60 series to show how you can be very very creative with one flash and reflectors to make all different sort of portraits. would you like to borrow it.

Kevin