Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Epson Pro 4800 Printer

Epson Pro 4800 Printer

I have a friend who is selling all their bulky photo stuff because they are planning to live on a 36 foot sailboat in the Caribbean. Sounds tough.

Anyway, she will sell me a modestly used (in the home) Epson Pro 4800 printer for $400. She says it works great, though she's had a bit of trouble with the cartridge feeder (the roll and single sheet feeds works great). She'll even throw in a bunch of paper supplies. There's some ink left, but will need new inks soon and a waste cartridge.

Is this a good deal? I had been considering a 3880 down the road, but they seem to go for around $1200 plus.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
    David Aimone Photography
    Critiques always welcome...

Re: Epson Pro 4800 Printer

Anyone out there using or familiar with this printer?
    David Aimone Photography

I have a 3800. A 4800 for $400 is a good deal, if you don't intend to often switch between matt and glossy media; because the 4800 wastes significant amounts of ink in switching blacks.

You are looking at about $415 to replace all of the inks.

I am a bit. It's a good printer, but quite long-in-the-tooth. It's big and heavy. I used to work at a studio that had one. It saw a lot of use. It had real difficulty picking up matte papers, such as Hanumuhle Photo Rag from the cassette. It also clogged fairly regularly. If you want to change between Photo Black and Matte Black, it'll use a lot of ink.

So, first question. Do you have the space for the printer? Do you plan to print color or bw, and do you plan on printing on Photo Black, Matte Black, or both types of paper?

And to put things in perspective, about a year ago I bought a 4880 new on rebate. Final price shipped to my door was $950.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Ron,

Where do you find the inks for $415? I'm looking at prices around $70 a pop (x8), but I know there are places that offer discounts, just haven't found them yet.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Marshall View Post
    I have a 3800. A 4800 for $400 is a good deal, if you don't intend to often switch between matt and glossy media; because the 4800 wastes significant amounts of ink in switching blacks.

You are looking at about $415 to replace all of the inks.
    David Aimone Photography

Well, sticking to one type of paper may not be an issue for me, but I am planning on doing both color and black and white. Right now, I'm doing black and white the old fashioned way (and will continue to do so), but there will be times I use the printer as well.

So, I guess it would be used most of the time for color.

I am looking for something that will last a while. I know my friend has used this modestly for herself only, but if in the long run I'm much better off with something like a 3880, I'd wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    I am a bit. It's a good printer, but quite long-in-the-tooth. It's big and heavy. I used to work at a studio that had one. It saw a lot of use. It had real difficulty picking up matte papers, such as Hanumuhle Photo Rag from the cassette. It also clogged fairly regularly. If you want to change between Photo Black and Matte Black, it'll use a lot of ink.

So, first question. Do you have the space for the printer? Do you plan to print color or bw, and do you plan on printing on Photo Black, Matte Black, or both types of paper?
    David Aimone Photography

And where did you get a 4880 for $950? There is no rebate now and the 3880 is going for around $1200 at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post

And to put things in perspective, about a year ago I bought a 4880 new on rebate. Final price shipped to my door was $950.
    David Aimone Photography

Hi David,

I have been using my 4800 for several years. I'm very happy with the printer. I never use the bulk paper feeder because art papers are too thick for it - I primarily use the roll paper feeder and occasionally the sheet feeder (which can be a bit fussy to get a sheet fed straight enough for the printer to accept it). My printer has been very free of head clogs. So I think you could purchase this and be confident that you will get quality prints from it.

My biggest complaint about the printer is that you have to switch out ink cartridges if you switch between matte and gloss papers. That takes time and wastes a lot of ink.

You may want to consider a 4900. You can get one for $1,500 from B&H. Compare that to the 4800 plus all new 110ml ink cartridges & waste tank and the cost difference is only $500. The 4900 is 2 generations newer, you can swap black ink on the fly, and you will have a warranty.

I have a 9600, 4800, and the 3800. They all print great but the 4800 does have an issue with clogged heads from time to time if I let the machine sit idle for a week or so. I print at least one 8x10 print a day to minimize this. As for changing from matte to gloss I prefer using a gloss laminate instead. It looks much better (to me and my clients) than any of the gloss papers I use with the 3800 that I use for gloss. The old 9600 is my work horse.... like an old Cadillac that just keeps running along. $400 is a good price and the machine prints great.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

I bought my 4880 printer from It Supplies, http://www.itsupplies.com/. At that time there were two Epson rebates on the printer.

See: http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/j...seBVCookie=yes Right now there's a $1000 rebate on the 4900.

The 4800 is a good printer, especially if you don't feel the need to swap the black cartridges between matte and photo. If you don't mind a little more troubleshooting, it'll probably be fine. If you want to wait for rebates on a new printer, it'll probably be a little less trouble prone, but you won't be able to print now.

I'd recommend that you have her do a manual nozzle check. If you can get a good one. Go ahead. If you can't, even after some head cleanings, I'd pass.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know