Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ansel Adams Gallery Yosemite

Ansel Adams Gallery Yosemite

I tried finding this searching but couldn't. I visited the gallery last month and thought there would be more large originals by Ansel. I am curious as to the smaller prints throughout the gallery. Are most of them digital scans/reproductions and not genuine AA prints? I realize there are only so many originals by him.

Is the AA exhibit that travels from museum to museum worth driving a bit for? Also, any other excellent galleries/exhibits, specifically around Minneapolis? I haven't seen many in my short time with LF. A lot of people at the last Art Fair I was at shot LF though, but that's a bit hit and miss.
    My website Flickr
    "There is little or no ‘reality’ in the blacks, grays and whites of either the informational or expressive black-and-white image" -Ansel Adams

slumry

Re: Ansel Adams Gallery Yosemite

The Minneapolis Institute of Art has a great permanent photography collection and normally has some good special shows. Weinstein usually has some interesting stuff. Also, take a look at the Minneapolis Photo Center.
    Follow me on Twaddle!

Quote Originally Posted by Zaitz View Post
    I tried finding this searching but couldn't. I visited the gallery last month and thought there would be more large originals by Ansel. I am curious as to the smaller prints throughout the gallery. Are most of them digital scans/reproductions and not genuine AA prints? I realize there are only so many originals by him.

Is the AA exhibit that travels from museum to museum worth driving a bit for? Also, any other excellent galleries/exhibits, specifically around Minneapolis? I haven't seen many in my short time with LF. A lot of people at the last Art Fair I was at shot LF though, but that's a bit hit and miss.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the prints sold at the AA Gallery that were not printed by AA himself were printed by Alan Ross.

By the way, be sure to look at the portfolios in the back of the gallery. I especially enjoy Charles Cramer's portfolio (although the pages are starting to get soiled from all the gallery visitors that handle the portfolios on display).

-DP

If I read this correctly, and that may be a first, you would like to view large AA prints.

The AA Gallery prints are a mix of "special edition" and originals. The special edition are/were printed by AA's trusted assistants (i.e., Alan Ross), from his negatives. I believe they're clearly marked as such. I'm not aware of any digital repros other than posters (but then those are really the same thing by my judgement). If you want the current dope on this, call the Gallery.

FYI – as you may have noticed, the Yosemite Gallery is too small to devote wall space to show large prints – and most everyone who visits is only interested in park curios and keepsakes (read AA's autobiography regarding the timelessness of this). There are large AA prints in the Valley. Occasionally they are shown in concessionaire venues. There used to be a (redundantly) huge "Monolith" in the YPCC Mountain Room restaurant. An extremely large print, "Still Life", used to hang above the foyer of the recently changed hands Mono Inn, north of Lee Vining. One other thing about the Gallery is that they used to have "Fine Print Viewing" in the back, for the price of signing up.

As I'm sure you are already aware, AA had open editions, and there are many in both public and private hands. Any touring prints are most certainly originals. Many museums and educational institutions have prints in their collections – call them. I wouldn't be surprised in the least to find out that there would be prints in Minn.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Lumry View Post
    The Minneapolis Institute of Art has a great permanent photography collection and normally has some good special shows. Weinstein usually has some interesting stuff. Also, take a look at the Minneapolis Photo Center.
    As noted here, The MIA has a fine photography collection. Check out the Scheel Collection of gifted prints, which has Adams' prints among a good selection of other West Coast work.

http://plainsart.org/exhibits/the-fr...ains-part-one/

Thanks for the responses. I guess I am just an idiot O_O. No surprise there.

Perhaps I expected too much. I have seen the images in his books so many times I just expected the large and real silver prints to be mind blowing. The traveling exhibition will be in South Dakota next spring I think, in MI now. Not too far to travel.

I am always a bit disappointed with the Minneapolis Institute of Arts photography section. Sometimes it seems only half full and the prints on exhibit rarely speak to me for one reason or another.
    My website Flickr
    "There is little or no ‘reality’ in the blacks, grays and whites of either the informational or expressive black-and-white image" -Ansel Adams

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

Most of the Ansel Adams prints in the AA Gallery are the special editions printed by Alan Ross. The few original AA prints in the gallery are all very small and not nearly of his best work, like "Moonrise Hernandez" or "Winter Sunrise Lone Pine". It's too bad they don't have original large prints of his masterpieces on display anywhere in the park.

I just got this months AAA magazine, and it has a story about an exhibit of 120 AA photographs at the Carnegie Arts Center in Turlock, in the central valley about two hours west of the park. The images are all of California, including quite a few from Yosemite. It will be up until January 8th and should be well worth a visit if you will be in the area.
    Brian Vuillemenot

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Vuillemenot View Post
    Most of the Ansel Adams prints in the AA Gallery are the special editions printed by Alan Ross. The few original AA prints in the gallery are all very small and not nearly of his best work, like "Moonrise Hernandez" or "Winter Sunrise Lone Pine". It's too bad they don't have original large prints of his masterpieces on display anywhere in the park.

I just got this months AAA magazine, and it has a story about an exhibit of 120 AA photographs at the Carnegie Arts Center in Turlock, in the central valley about two hours west of the park. The images are all of California, including quite a few from Yosemite. It will be up until January 8th and should be well worth a visit if you will be in the area.
    Arggg . Won't be in the area in all likelihood. I may take a trip to Colorado during fall. Perhaps Yosemite would be beautiful in winter. Quite a drive though. I will have the time but probably not the $$$$.
    My website Flickr

I remember years ago I went in the Ansel Adams gallery and there was one of his grass in water photos from 1935, probably plate #12 in the "Ansel Adams at 100" book. In the photo there are dozens of little sun reflections. It was one of the most beautiful prints I have ever seen, one that you could stare at for a while.

It was a small print, probably an 8x10 contact, and even though I was so amazed by this print I was still disappointed by the gallery because I was expecting to see big prints of his famous images.

Now I'm much more interested in Adams' early work, so I consider myself lucky to have seen this print. Last time I was at the gallery the print wasn't up and most of the prints were the Alan Ross special editions.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

On a visit to the valley to photograph Horsetail Falls a couple years back - like 2 - there was an original print of Moonrise hanging above the entrance to the rear section priced for $20,000. It's gone now so you have to be a Johnny on the spot for the originals.

Thomas