Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Englad

Hello from Englad

Hello Everyone,

my name is Valerio and I live in London, United Kingdom. I've been a keen photographers for at least 20 years, and in the past used all formats from 35mm tomedium format, film and digital. I've been wanting to own a large format camera since I first saw the works of Ansel Adams.

Well, yesterday I realised my dream and bought my first large format kit. Initially I thought of buying a brand new one, but then the person in the studio proposed me a second hand camera and lens that were in very good condition, so I went for it. So here's what I've got: a Linhof Kardan Super Color 4x5 with a Sinar Sinaron S 150mm f/5.6 lens.

I'm going on holiday in Italy (the country where I was born) in a couple of days and I can't wait to start using my kit. I bought a Fuji PA-45 holder and I will begin shooting on instant film, so that I can see immediately what I'm doing right and, especially, what I'm doing wrong.

Anyways, here I am and I hope to make a lot of new friends, all passionate about large format photography.

Ciao!

Re: Hello from Englad

Welcome aboard, Valerio. Nice little kit you've got there. Be sure to post your Italy pics here, eh?

andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Welcome aboard, Valerio. Nice little kit you've got there. Be sure to post your Italy pics here, eh?

andrew
    Thank you! I'm very happy with it. I will post the pics for sure, if I manage to focus and use the camera movements correctly! ;-) But I've got Stroebel's book with me, so I'm in good hands.

Englad

I like it. Makes me glad, too.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Calahan View Post
    Englad

I like it. Makes me glad, too.
    Oops, I spotted the typo only now... :P

Living in London, traveling to Italy with a LF camera.

*Sigh* What AM I doing wrong?

At any rate, Val, welcome! And by all means, we'll look forward to seeing some pictures.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

thank you!

I guess I'm lucky, but London gets very crowded over the summer, with all the tourists... That's why I'm escaping to a remote location in Italy!

If I manage to take some good pictures, I will make scans of the shots and post them. Though I need to buy a scanner first...

Cheers,

Val

Welcome to the forum and to LF Val!

You will (probably) love large format - eventually. You have the right attitude with showing the mistakes too. They will happen, and everyone makes them. I went through the usual comedy when I started with 4x5 (or 5x4 for you I guess) over a dozen years ago, got it mostly worked out and things usually went smoothly, then put it down for a dozen years and had to make the same mistakes all over again!

Hi Roger,

thank you very much! I'm already in love with my kit and I always wanted to do large format photography.

We all learn from our mistakes, so I'm prepared to make them and eventually get the shots I want. There is something magical about seeing the upsidedown image on the ground glass, instead of a tiny viewfinder or, even worse, an LCD screen.

Now I'm off to catch my plane to Italy. I'll report soon on how the first shots went!

Val

Hi, hope you get some good ones.