Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my first portrait - mistakes were made!

my first portrait - mistakes were made!

I've wanted to try a portrait, but I have no idea how to set one up and I've not wanted to subject anyone to my ineptitude. Well, yesterday I was doing some shooting in caves at Lava Beds Nat Mon, and these two guys came along. They first correctly identified the old green Kelty backpack I got from my dad and use as my camera pack. They then became intrigued with my camera, and proceeded to ask various questions and we shared stories. Finally, noting the great light coming in from the entrance of the cave, I asked how they'd feel about posing for a portrait, with the warning that I would take a bit of time fumbling around. "We're in no hurry - go ahead!"

I'd be pretty happy about it if the one on the left, Mike, would have been smiling a bit. He was really not as serious as he looks. Brother Ken, on the right, looks the way I'd been observing him for 10 minutes, but he seems to have moved a little during the exposure. I wish I could try it again!
    Last edited by h2oman; 19-Aug-2011 at 16:11.

Re: my first portrait - mistakes were made!

It's natural that you bring your knowledge of these two gents into your judgment of the finished work, but we don't know the guys and have only your print to go by.

So looking at the print, I have to say that I like it very much. You've done a fine job of rendering their characters, to the extent that I feel I'd like to meet them and share a yarn etc. - a couple of 'old bushies' as we'd call them.

We are all our harshest critics, and I know that when it comes to portraits, I think mine are rubbish and that's why I don't do many!

Again, I like it! it's well composed, beautifully lit, has great tonal range (and dare I mention it) sharp which I think works well here.

Keep going, I say.

Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Kirsten View Post
    Keep going, I say.

Barry.
    +1
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ

It looks really over-sharpened. Do you have an unedited version?

Thanks for the suggestion, Ash. I agree completely. Here is a version that is still sharpened a little, but not nearly as much. I find it much nicer than my original post.

h20man,

About the worst thing i can say about this is that as your first portrait, you are going to have a tough time living up to this one in your future efforts. A really fine job which will also convert to individual portraits of each of these great faces.

As a long ago portrait studio person, what really impresses me is your recognition of the quality and direction of the light. Good lighting is what truly makes or breaks a portrait image. You've nailed it.

Well done!
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

good effort but if both guys could be just as sharp then it would be great. portrait using LR is not the easiest.

Quote Originally Posted by lenser View Post
    h20man,

what really impresses me is your recognition of the quality and direction of the light.
    Thanks, but it wasn't planned. Mike, on the left was just sitting where he is in the image, talking to me, and brother Ken was looking the way he is in the image, but about 4 feet away. I saw the light on their faces and thought "I gotta record this!" I just moved Ken a bit closer to Mike.

I got their addresses and will send each several prints. I just wish I had shot a couple more sheets to cover for errors like Ken's movement. Mike had found a comfortable boulder, but Ken's position was a bit uncomfortable.

One of them lives about 20 miles from here - maybe I can get them together again sometime!

Quote Originally Posted by h2oman View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, Ash. I agree completely. Here is a version that is still sharpened a little, but not nearly as much. I find it much nicer than my original post.
    Portraits as a whole are better left soft.... women especially don't like to see their crows feet.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Beautiful light and well done. It looks like you have been doing portraits for a long time, based on this. It is a shame the gent on the right moved, but it still works beautifully.