Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Agfa Repromaster lenses

Agfa Repromaster lenses

Looking for opinions on the 150mm f9 and 210mm f9. Coverage? Sharpness? Working with 5x7 contacts. I've heard plenty about how some process lenses are pretty good but I've not heard much about the Agfa Repromaster. Anyone care to comment? Thanks.

Agfa Repromaster lenses

These lenses are extremely sharp, plenty of contrast and have an unusual diaphram. Am sure that a call/mail to that nice Mr.Grimes will give you what you need about shutter requirements/costs.

Agfa Repromaster lenses

The very small 150mm will almost cover 8x10 - it just darkens the very corners of the image. For 5x7 it would be fine (and probably for 4x10). The 210mm f9 has something like a 370mm image circle. Both are very sharp and with little light falloff - no center filter is likely needed even for the most critical work. The lenses originally came off $10,000 stat cameras. I have a 185mm Repromaster f9.0 that Steve Grimes mounted in a Copal 1 and it is a great moderate wideangle for 8x10. Eskofot Ultragon is another of several names for these lenses - thus I think Agfa contracted with a German lensmaker for the "Repromasters" rather than creating in-house. They come in a number of other focal lenghts and speeds and as the image circle seems to become larger with the focal length, I really wonder just what sort of circle their 305mm puts out.

Agfa Repromaster lenses

Thanks for the posts. I've come across a 150mm and a 210mm not mounted in a shutter and without visible aperture scales. Anyone know what the click-stop f-stop progressions (minimum and maximum aperture) of these lenses are? Greatly appreciate the help.

Agfa Repromaster lenses

Most of these I've seen have "Schneideritis" Hmmmmmmmm......... I wonder? Too bad they don't go into shutter very easily at all. But I suppose if they did they wouldn't be selling in the $32 range. They have ALL the same characteristics of their cousins the G-Clarons.

Agfa Repromaster lenses

The 210mm f9 I have sitting "in reserve" has click stops at f9, 11, 16, 22 (marked "22" on the barrel - none of the other stops are marked), 32, 45, 64. Hope this helps.

Agfa Repromaster lenses

FWIW, ages ago (late '60s? '70s) Agfa bought Staeble, a Munich lens manufacturer. The lenses you're talking about have been sold badged as Staeble Ultragon, Eskofot Ultragon, and Repromaster (Agfa's brand of stat camera). All the same. Opinions (great stress, opinion, not all backed by reports of experience) expressed about them on rec.photo.equipment.large-format have been all over the map.

Cheers,

Dan

Agfa Repromaster lenses

I have a Repromaster 213 f9.25 (this is exactly what it says on the barrel) on my vertical enlarger and it's a fantastic lens. I tested a lot of enlarger lenses before I came across this one and it beats them all. I shoot panoramas with a rotating camera on 120 film, a 360 degree pan gives me a 13 inch long neg. I modified my enlarger to take the 13 inch neg and tested all the 210's I could get hold of for cover. The Repromaster had much more cover than El Nikkor 5.6, Rodagon 5.6 and others, contrast is slightly less than El Nikkor and Schneiders but nothing to worry about. Sharpness is edge to edge, you wont have a problem with 5x7. I'm not sure if this Repromaster is the same as the others, it's a huge lens, much much bigger than a what you'd expect a f9 to be. I have some info about my enlarger on my web site www.bigshotz.co.nz I'll be adding some completed pics of it shortly

Agfa Repromaster lenses

Can't speak about the 150 or 210, but I do have the 240 Repromaster. Sharp sharp sharp. I suspect the 150 and the 210 are also very sharp.

Agfa Repromaster lenses

Thanks for all that contributed a post!