Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: I don't own a large format camera...

Re: I don't own a large format camera...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Davis View Post
    Well, if he MUST shoot 8x10 in reportage-style, there's always a Hobo or a Fotoman...
    Or an 8x10 Gowlandflex...

Rick "giggling" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Davis View Post
    Well, if he MUST shoot 8x10 in reportage-style, there's always a Hobo or a Fotoman... and figuring out how to daisy-chain/slave a cluster of Vivitar 283's would be a good idea too, to have enough flash oomph to cover f22 on a 210mm/180mm-ish 8x10 lens.
    that is a situation that screams out for flash bulbs...or flash powder
    david

I think we lost the OP here possibly but if not wanted to point out more directly what has been said here already... 8x10 is not much at all slower for me with my Wehman camera than 4x5 was with my Shen-Hao. You still have to set up the tripod, decide on your lens and mount it, roughly aim the camera, level the camera, put on your hood and critically adjust the camera and composition, possibly re-level, do your metering, set your lens aperture and shutter speed, get back under the hood and critically final focus, take off the hood, put the holder in and then fire the shutter.

Order may change somewhat depending on what you are doing and the light conditions.

thanks everyone for your input. I think i know what i'm going to buy, I'm looking for a 4x5 field (collapsable) system bundled with some lenses around the used market to start off. Upgrading from my pentax 645n to a Mamiya 7 is a fun idea too, but i think i like the movements with LF.

As far as speed and mobility, all i was talking about is the weight and bulk of about 10 8x10 holders and the bigger tripod and camera. I'm scheduling to meet people, or groups at their homes, ranches, places of worship etc. and photographing them for a solo show. I will have plenty of time to set up but i will be finding the shots in some cases, and want to be able to move easily and not draw too much attention to myself with a huge bag + camera.

sorry, i don't understand the post about me not knowing what i'm talking about. Fine art at 60in is not at odds with social settings, people or possible found light. i don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse-Califonia View Post
    As far as speed and mobility, all i was talking about is the weight and bulk of about 10 8x10 holders and the bigger tripod and camera.
    it isnt as much as you think. Yes, the holders are the worst part, but if you bring four to six holders and a small changing tent, it isn't that bad.

My camera is a wehman at 7.2 pounds. I use the same 3 pound carbon fiber tripod I used with 4x5. If you choose your lenses wisely for portability, the difference there is negligible.

If you want really large prints 8x10 is the way to go, mainly for tonality.

Remember that frame and glass traditional mounting of such prints is going to cost you a fortune. Look into that also.

And if you are inside, you are most likely going to need lights to shoot people with large format, unless they are next to a bright window and willing to be very still for an f16 1/4 second exposure.