Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Domke F-802 Satchel... any experience with it?

Domke F-802 Satchel... any experience with it?

I'm still on the never ending quest for the perfect bag. Has anyone got experience with Domke's F-802 satchel? http://www.domkebags.co.uk/domke-bag...-satchel-.html

I went by a shop today and it seemed niiiiceee. Very comfortable to wear. Could fit my Linhof Technikardan 45S with its fresh new padding (see pic), 8-10 holders in the two front pockets. Darkcloth, meter, lens shade and the various thingies we bring could easily find their place in the remaining pockets... but the lenses! no room for them
    Had the satchel been just 3 inches wider, I could have everything.

any suggestions?

Re: Domke F-802 Satchel... any experience with it?

I love the F-803 Camera Satchel for small cameras, but I didn't like the F-802 at all and got rid of it. I just didn't like the big deep briefcase form factor and found the shoulder bags (like the F4AF) work better for MF/LF. If you dig the big satchels, they do have an F-804 Super Satchel.

I've had both the F-802 and the F-804 for several years. My Wisner Flight (seen elsewhere on this forum ) fits the F-802 with room for two lenses. My Gandolfi 5x7 Traditional fits the F-804 with room for two or three lenses. What's especially neat is that the front outside pockets on the F-802 are sized almost perfectly for 3 4x5 holders each. Likewise the outside front pockets on the F-804 are sized perfectly for 3 5x7 holders each. A darkcloth (or hood, actually) rolls up and stows on top of the equipment and under the flap of the bag. Makes for a very compact and efficient traveling kit.

Hi Mortensen, another thing to consider, is that even though it does fit your Linhof, how easily does it fit it? I had one, but had to get rid of it, it was just too much of a hassle for me to quickly pull cameras, gear, out of. I am still looking for the perfect satchel, and right now use a rolling case and a backpack on assignments. Hope this helps.

Since we have pretty much the same kit...

I never really thought to try shoehorning my TK45S into my F802, which I used for Leica gear and now use for small DSLR stuff (Nikon D300s+small primes).

I also used the F802 for my Wista VX, but when I got the TK I picked up the larger F804 satchel. It can fit the TK45S, a bunch of film holders in the front pockets and there is room for a few large lenses. It can fit what I need, but it's quite heavy and cumbersome once loaded up to that extent. It has a very large profile and is not that comfortable to carry for any length of time.

I now use a Pelican rolling case, I think it's the 1410, for my TK kit. It's great for working from the car and in urban areas where you're not too far from the car or for commercial jobs. It's a real pleasure to work from and you can stand on it for high camera angles and sit on it for low camera angles. It can also be locked and is tough enough to check on flights if necessary. I don't normally check my gear, but for some upcoming trips I may use it as a clothes suitcase, carry my gear onboard in a small backpack, and use the peli case as a lockbox in my hotel room...

I'm thinking for urban work on mass transit or on foot, a backpack would be best. I always avoided backpacks since they can be awkward to work from and I always fear that my gear will fall out if the zipper fails (or if the user fails and forgets to zip it all the way up). For a while I've been eyeing the Lowepro flipside packs, which open on the side facing your back. I like this idea for security and also because if I'm working from the pack and lay it on the ground, the straps won't be in the dirt. Also, the Flipside packs have a very low profile and don't look all that much like camera bags.

The flipsides come in three sizes, I just ordered the middle one (the Flipside 300). I figure it might be a bit tight for the TK but will be good for my Technika kit. I'll let you know once it arrives. I think the TK will fit with one lens mounted and two extras, but there may not be room for film. Which is ok since I often keep my filmholders in a very small shoulder bag separate from my other gear.

The larger one, the 400AW, might be perfect for a TK kit.

Thanks, all of you. Good with some further insight.
    It's funny, cause when looking at the Domke web site, the interior dimensions say:
    F-802: 14,5"W x 3"D x 12" H
    F-804: 14"W x 6.5"D x 10"H
    I think I need the extra 2" in height, actually. But the front pockets are bigger on the F-804 as well? I think the F-802 was surprisingly comfortable to wear, when I tried it. It really makes a difference, that the strap goes all the way round. It actually felt more comfy and well placed than my Timbuk2 messenger bag.

It can't be a big surprise, that I've used a Flipside300 for a couple of years now - for exactly the reasons you mention, Noah In India I had everything except my camera in the Flipside (10 holders, 3 lenses) and used a Lowe Passport Sling for my (now stolen) Chamonix, water, maps and whatever was necessary for the given day. It worked out quite well, allowing for the sling to be hung around the tripod when setting up. So when I looked at the Domke bags, it was initially 'just' to replace the Passport Sling for the camera only... but then I realized I might be able to fit everything into one. The flipside300 is really good and compact, but I doubt you can fit a TK into it...

Unless you go for some fancy Osprey pack and fit your camera gear into that, anything will make your back ache after hauling 13-15kg around for a whole day. Of course the carrying system makes a big difference, but I find the one on my Flipside 300 to be so simple, that it doesn't really distribute the load. I have a crumpler backpack as well. Quite roomy and very organically shaped to fit your body and with the zipper in the same position as the Flipside... but after 5-10km in the mountains this one,too, make my shoulders very sore.

... one more thing - you can get backpack straps for the Domke bags, right?

The Domke backstraps are a joke and the loose weave of the material makes them dust magnets.... in my sad experience. I've had several, I used to like them OK for small formats but I think a good Nylon bag with some stiffeners is better suited for your TK. Perhaps something like the Think Tank Urban Disguise® 70 Pro V2.0?

I have an 802 for a daily bag. It's great. One thing most people don't realize is that they make accessory pouches. I've added a pouche to one side; they've got 3 or so sizes. Really adds that extra room I needed.

Like others here, I have an 802 for small 35mm cameras. If you're contemplating the 802., I suggest you also consider the Think Tank Retrospective 30, something I'm pondering for light 4x5 gear.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...