Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gitzo 2531LVL 4x5 use without dedicated head

Gitzo 2531LVL 4x5 use without dedicated head

Hi,

I shoot 4x5 and am in the market to buy a tripod to complete my kit. First off, my style is very straight, I don't shoot tilted up or down nor do I angle my shots, all of them are levelled to the horizon or interior. I also prefer to screw the camera to the tripod and carry it assembled so a quick release is not needed either.

The Gitzo GT2531LVL has a levelling center column which tilts 15 degrees. Does anyone think this is a good setup? I cut down on travel weight by not requiring a head.

I wanted to get some other feedback before I go ahead with the purchase. The alternative would be a GT2531 with a ball head from Gitzo, but this raises cost and weight and time I think.

Thanks for your advice.

Re: Gitzo 2531LVL 4x5 use without dedicated head

I think it would be a nuisance and somewhat dangerous (in terms of dropping the camera) to spin a field camera on a tripod screw where the tripod head normally goes. But if that works out OK, then a leveling base could work fine. For 4x5, the CF tripods are light enough that you could probably hold the camera and spin the tripod screw into the socket.

I once considered adding a quick release plate (Really Right Stuff) to a leveling base but the cost was about the same as a tripod head.

The leveling base does not add much weight, so you could buy that and see what you think. If you don't like it, then add a tripod head.

For the money, you should consider a Feisol tripod with a leveling base along with the Gitzo. I have two Feisol's, one for 4x5 and a larger one for 8x10, as well as a small Gitzo that I used for 35mm. The Feisol is excellent quality.

Not the position of the levels on the tripod. You may not be able to see them with the camera mounted.

You can always buy one or more small sensitive levels and use them to adjust the tripod/camera assembly.

- Leigh

Personally, I'd consider a QR component just for the reasons that jerold mentioned, installing and removing the camera.

I thought about putting something like this on a leveling base:

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductD...l-mount&key=it

But for $289 you can get an Acratech ball head that weighs less than a pound (450 g) and is much more functional. The leveling bases I have seen weigh about 1 pound all by themselves.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. I think it is a smart and safe choice to attach the RRS Quick Release plate to the levelling column.

Just to clarify, it's not a levelling head I'm buying, the tripod itself has a levelling column with bubble level on the bottom of the column so you can read it with a LF camera attached.

The RRS Quick Release looks great and doesn't add too much weight or cost to the equation. I think it'll be a great fit to my workflow.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mikagoodfriend View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts everyone. I think it is a smart and safe choice to attach the RRS Quick Release plate to the levelling column.

Just to clarify, it's not a levelling head I'm buying, the tripod itself has a levelling column with bubble level on the bottom of the column so you can read it with a LF camera attached.

The RRS Quick Release looks great and doesn't add too much weight or cost to the equation. I think it'll be a great fit to my workflow.

Thanks!
    I use a GT 2530. Leveling might be fun, but I like a 3 way head with a view camera. I think quick releases and ball heads are for med format. I have a NovoFlex QBase which is amazing for that...

However, when working with larger cameras, it is better (for me) to have distinct angles I am moving with. The ball lets one move all around, and I find it harder to line things up on the ground glass.

If you want to save some weight, I wouldn't get rid of the head, I'd dispense with the center column. I use G1570M. When it comes to leveling, I want to level to the grid on the ground glass, not any "accurate" sense of level. And I'd probably buy that Wisner field that was for sale yesterday... I'd buy it myself, its so sweet, I have to keep telling myself I don't need 3 4x5's!!!

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

[QUOTE=mikagoodfriend;757611]Hi,

I shoot 4x5 and am in the market to buy a tripod to complete my kit.

I found the same tripod fit my needs, and I put on a ballhead very small and liteweight, only 280g. ifyou want a spirit level also, it is interesting stuff.
    The name is P0 Arca Swiss , it is a bit costly but much better than Gitzo ballheads.
    It carry about 40 Lb!!

I am using Gitzo tripods and having RRS [BH-55] and Markins [Q3T] ballheads, I use RRS clamps [B2 with lever release] on both heads, ZERO issues and i am very happy and never look back, i know they are all pricey but i am now done with ballheads and tripods and i don't need anything else, i can go up to 25kgs or little more now without any fear, Gitzo Series 5 is my sturdiest and Gitzo series 3 is my travel tripod.

Scott Davis

Another thought- Berlebach has tripods with leveling heads with or without columns. They may not be as light weight as the Gitzo, though. But they are a far sight cheaper.