Thread: Any opinions on the Gitzo G1515 Tele Studex Mk2 Tripod?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Any opinions on the Gitzo G1515 Tele Studex Mk2 Tripod?

Hi Folks,

I just picked up a nice Sinar P. I'm in the process of researching a tripod for it.
    I'm leaning towards the Gitzo 5 Series and am wondering if anyone has info on
    the Gitzo G1515 Tele Studex Mk2 Tripod? I believe it's an older version and has
    only two leg extensions which is fine for better stability?

Any info or opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Any opinions on the Gitzo G1515 Tele Studex Mk2 Tripod?

I think that is kind of a short legged one, meant for tv cameras on dollies and that sort of thing. Since any #5 Gitzo is going to be a heavy beast, for the money why not get one with all the extensions possible? I think the 504, 513, 505 models are quite a bit taller, also search for "giant, gitzo" as the older ones are essentially the same tripod... Gitzo just changed the numbers and names every few years... probably because they were French. If you don't care about cosmetics most are 100% serviceable, even the rubber twist locks and fiber bushings are still available, they are easy to clean and lube, it is only that some have dinged up finishes from being tossed into grip trucks and the like.

I've had the super giant 110" ones before and they are more than stable, but if it is concern then don't extend the legs all the way out and leave them partially retracted. Then once in a while you might need to do a tall overhead shot (like shooting down onto a still life or over a fence for architecture) and you have the height when you need it.

And even though I am sounding like a broken record, you really want to get a Sinar Pan-Tilt head to complete the support system for your Sinar P!

Thank you Frank. Most helpful!!

John

I learned an interesting historical tidbit about the Gitzo #5 tripod - it began life as a French machine gun stand in WW1, then was repurposed as a photo tripod after the War.

Most interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hughes View Post
    I learned an interesting historical tidbit about the Gitzo #5 tripod - it began life as a French machine gun stand in WW1, then was repurposed as a photo tripod after the War.
    Their founding year (1917) might suggest that. But according to their own web site Gitzo did not start making tripods until the fifties - their initial products were wire releases, shutters and film holders.

Yes the quick-collapse feature was important to the French in WW2.