Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crash Course in Spot Metering?

Re: Crash Course in Spot Metering?

Quote Originally Posted by yeknom02 View Post
    Brian,

Thanks for the suggestion. What confuses me, though, is that I thought my own development times would be determined by too many personal variables for someone else to do. For example, how would the VC store be able to account for the fact that I use replenished Xtol as opposed to stock? In fact, if they're not testing with my development tools and chemistry, wouldn't they just be able to look up times off a database of previously tested film/developer combinations?

I've looked at their website but I don't see any information on this service.
    You tell them what film you use, they send you six unexposed sheets of that film. You process that film in your chemistry for six different specified times and send it to back them. So if you use replenished developer to process your film their tests and the film speed/development time information they send you will be based on your film in that developer.

If you click on "BTZS Products" on the left-hand side of their home page and then scroll down you'll see a reference to their testing service. It doesn't go into any detail that I saw so if you have questions about it I guess you'd have to contact them. But I'm pretty sure they still perform this service, I believe I saw a reference to it in a post here a few weeks ago from Fred Newman, the owner of The View Camera Store.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

So how would this work with E-6 film???

Quote Originally Posted by Panoman617 View Post
    So how would this work with E-6 film???
    How would what work? If you're asking how the testing service mentioned above would work, it wouldn't AFAIK but I've never asked. I've only used it for b&w film. If you're asking about how the zone system in general works with color someone else will have to answer, I only use b&w film. I use a digital camera for color.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I got in touch with Fred and we've been discussing the service. He actually sends you five sheets of film pre-expposed with a calibrated step tablet and you process each one for one of five pre-set development times. So all the development is according to your own chemistry, equipment, etc. You send the film back, and he does the sensitometry measurements and data analysis, and presents the results back to you, giving you a measure of your true film speed and your personal development times (N, N+1, etc.)

The only thing I worry about is the cost once you have more than one film or developer. I will probably have to pick one film and developer for a while.

Back on topic, I had a heck of a time metering a scene for a shot last night. I will try to scan and upload the results later.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST
    My Flickr Gallery

Here is a good link for doing your testing. It covers film speed, development time etc. Iy walks you through on a step by step basis without pie in the sky verbiage.
    On the landing page look for film speed test & development speed test links.

http://www.jerryo.com/teaching.htm
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.