Thread: Photographing in France

Student of Film

Photographing in France

Hello,

I am planning a trip to France oriented entirely around photography. I plan to rent a car and travel throughout the country for two months photographing. I was wondering where the best places are to photograph, as well as any other information that would be useful to a photographer.

I want to photograph primarily landscapes and nature, I have little interest in Paris and other large cities.

Overall any information on France and places to photograph would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Ian

Re: Photographing in France

I'd say go to around Perpignan. You have the sea, the Pyrenees going into the sea, mountains, cathar castles, canyons and gorges, beautiful landscapes, good weather, good food, cheap and excellent wine. Oh, and did I mention girls are pretty there?

I think that if you fly to Barcelona, you might get cheaper deals regarding car rentals.

The Dordogne is also beautiful. Site of early men, troglodites (living in caves dug into chalk clifs)...

When are you planning to go?

Dear Horvath,
    most if not all landscapes in France have been molded by man for agriculture or forestry. And the wild places (exemple Cirque de Gavarnie, aiguilles de Chamonix, gorges du Verdon) though great, will seem quite savorless compared to the national parks of US. Nature in France is somewhat secret and difficult to approach (example damps in La Brenne, Camargue).
    So I suggest that you lean to show the way landscapes are shaped by the man and how some monuments insert in landscape.
    A few entries : (1) wineyard and landscape in Burgundy, Alsace, Bordeaux, Cotes du Rhône, etc (2) Val de Loire : along the river Loire, in the middle of it's course, "le jardin de la France". (3) places to feed cattle during summer in mid-elevated places Pays Basque, Béarn, Jura, Auvergne-Ardèche, Alpes (4) abbeys / churches / castles prominent in their landscape.
    I suggest that you choose some subjects and ask for locations.
    D.C.

If it's autumn, you can't beat Normandy; the small towns and villages on the Channel are great, and the overall look and feel is kind of "Wuthering Heights"-y.

If you have the time, get on the ferry and head over to Corsica. It is stunning, and the food's not bad either! Apart from one or two places, it's not suffered from over development. If you feel like it, you could wander across the gap to Sardinia.

On the mainland, the south west, on both sides (Med to Atlantic) is great.

For your rental car, assuming you're from outside the EU, your best bet is to look up Renault, Peugeot or Citroen Eurodrive. You basically lease a brand new car of your choice, and they buy it back at a guaranteed price. It works out substantially cheaper than a standard rental over that sort of time period. Don't forget to get a diesel.

Forget the satnav, just follow the small roads.

Director @ Images Argentiques sultanofcognac's Avatar

Horvath -

I live in the Cognac region where few people visit unless someone who's been here has informed them about it. I'd suggest you consider visiting this area to make trips to local cognac producers (not the big commercial houses), who gladly invite you into their chais to sample and photograph (very dangerous!)

The grape harvest is very interesting, extremely photogenic and begins here in mid-October, with the distillation going from November to end of March.

The Charente river winds throughout the region and down here the weather is friendly and warm - also, we're 40 minutes' drive to the Atlantic.

I suggest you drop by this area, taste some real cognac and good wines and photograph at your leisure (before sampling the cognac!) I'm one of three LF photographers in this area, so even seeing another photog is a rate occasion.

Wherever you go - good luck, have fun

Cheers,

Johnny
    Are we truly creative, or simply too lethargic to become pedestrian?

Unfortunately, you don't say in which season your trip will take place. However, Provence is always popular with photographers - especially in June when the lavender fields are in bloom.

My personal favourite, though, is the Jura. It's often overlooked as it occupies an awkward position between two much-visited areas: the Alps to the south and the Alsace region to the north. Straddling the Franco-Swiss border between Geneva and Porrentruy, these limestone mountains offer dramatic gorges, caves, lakes and two tufa cascades. Since there is little tourism, the area is possibly the least spoilt of any in France and is not over-run - even in the peak season. The Swiss side of the region is also worth a visit although the current strength of the Swiss Franc might make spending significant time there an expensive option.

South of the Jura, and due west of the Alps, is the Vercors - an area of dramatic mountain scenery that is also well worth a visit. The French Alps themselves I would not recommend. Skiing infrastructure has spoilt many mountains and you need to get well off the beaten track to experience pristine scenery.

Director @ Images Argentiques sultanofcognac's Avatar

The Jura is also beautiful, yes. And popping over to the Swiss side can make a wonderful day trip with the LF camera. Even the mountains around the border are pretty dramatic. France is a very big place, but as you're in the Flagstaff area you're probably used to a drive to get anywhere ;-)

Joolsb is right though - straddling the border to CH there is a lot to be found. I usually just drive through there on the way to Zurich, where I 'officially' live. In the summertime one can take advantage of the cooler weather (as in Flagstaff).

Let us know when you plan to travel - it does make a difference.
    Are we truly creative, or simply too lethargic to become pedestrian?

Student of Film

Thank you all for the great information! It is all extremely helpful. And I am planning on being over there in September and October. Is that a good time of year to visit?

Thanks again everybody!

If you're planning on visiting Provence or the Riviera, September and early October are ideal times to visit, along with March and April. School starts back up in early September (5 Sept this year, I think), so the vacation season is over and there will be fewer people clogging up the roads, and temperatures will have started to cool off a bit. Frequently the Riviera gets heavy rains in late October, but September is usually still quite sunny.

If you plan on going to national monuments, frequently their "summer" hours will still be valid in October, meaning that they may be open over lunch and on more days of the week.

Hope you enjoy your trip, no matter where you go!