Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My second semi-nudes..........

Re: My second semi-nudes..........

HA---couldn't resist looking---you named names.

you do have to get closer but farther at the same time----you need a longer lens if you want full body....seems to me that you can do some selection by just croping a 4x5 section of the "interesting part"--and you can see that the 360 on a 4x5 at that distance will isolate and kind of separae the busy background (and foreground)---like that last pick....just take the top left 1/4 of the pic---that's the frame you want---everything else can go, you know. that puts the attention where it belongs, you know? just use everything from the butt up and to the left---there's tight and not to much else to distract, but the background still would have a presence but not overpowering. Like all of them can be done like with that same cropping--These pics do work--just that 1/4 of them that's interesting...

whatddya think?

"If your pictures are not good enough, you are not close enough".

Quote Originally Posted by atlcruiser View Post

The model is Lori my girlfriend and yes Johnelvis, I do sleep with her
    PHEW!

har har har!

i like the second to last image you posted. nice pose. i think it may work better to be closer (only a bit) to Lori but be farther away from the graffiti, shoot wide open. i am thinking so you are able to know that it is graffiti but so it does not dominate over the tats.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Quote Originally Posted by atlcruiser View Post
    This picture has everything going for it. Well put together and the belt and the shoes top off the image. Your eye for the Architectural detail and the model are coming together.
    Questions and comments are always welcome

Thanks both of the Elvises...or is it Elvi?

John I see your point and i am working on it. The getting closer is tough for me; no idea why. I thoguht this was close but i can see that it is not close enough. There is a fine line between too close and too far as Eddie mentioned. I want to keep the tats working against the graffiti and my fear is that if i am too close wide open I will lose that.

In the PIC above i dont think I could go much closer and keep the feel of the photo...I want both her head and feet it in. In the other photos I can see the need to really move in there even more. Maybe I need a longer lens

Sat AM we will go out for the last time and try this again....thanks again for all of the comments; my learning curve has gotten much flatter.
    david

I love pictures that attract immediate attention and draw on in. What a pleasant and agreeable sight, beauty in urban graffiti clutter, the antidote to vogue!

This picture s wonderful: full of lyrical curves and fun. She has a presence which is delightful.

This is all you need from the series so far. Kudos! Now seek another location.

Asher

it's all personal taste....like me...I see like 3/4 of the film is all the "background"...the foreground/subject should dominate somehow....like say if the guardrail was the subject--how would you go about that then?

if you want full body...maybe that setup isn't ideal---like that's more a vertical (person)and the traincar? is like horizontal, you know..horizontal rail..it kind of interferes for me.....

These are a very good start. Nonetheless, you might try taking some pictures of her in front of a simple background.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

OK I'll ramp up the constructive criticism part... when you're trying to isolate her with focus through your aperture and movements, it works nice except for the stuff on the sides that is also in sharp focus. What might work better is to find a location without the crap jutting in from the sides... or in this case where you can't control it, moving in so it intrudes less or is out of the picture.

With environmental stuff you have to accept what's there but sometimes just moving a few inches - or her moving a few inches - can help immensely. That's why once you get to likely location, you might do some poking around - looking from a higher and lower, more right, more left vantage point. It looks goofy doing it but it's gotta be done....

I like to use a smaller camera to roughly determine where to set the big camera after snapping a bunch of bogus digitals or whatever. This also helps loosen up the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post

With environmental stuff you have to accept what's there but sometimes just moving a few inches - or her moving a few inches - can help immensely. That's why once you get to likely location, you might do some poking around - looking from a higher and lower, more right, more left vantage point. It looks goofy doing it but it's gotta be done....

I like to use a smaller camera to roughly determine where to set the big camera after snapping a bunch of bogus digitals or whatever. This also helps loosen up the subject.
    Frank,

Your advice is stellar!

After choosing the subject and time of day, finessing the viewing position gives the most payoff in allowing for the importance and balance of things. You advice is a breath of fresh air!

The only need for pipes to overlap her would be for some need for a close up of such an entirely different composition.

Asher