Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moveable Large Format back for DSLR

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Re: Moveable Large Format back for DSLR

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeardorffGuy View Post
    In 1984 Deardorff made a 6x6 lensboard with a Nikon T mount mounted to it. This lensboard fit on a 12x12 inch adapter that fit on the back of a V8. Just like this thing from China does. At the time I used it to test the center image of my lenses. It was great to shoot Kodachrome and project it. Figure it out....You are getting HUGE magnifications of a tiny section of sheet film and you can see how your lenses are performing. My two sharpest lenses? A 190 Raptar and a 21inch Artar. Were the rest of my lenses bad. not at all. They would print just fine.
    Interesting you say that, because I have a few spare Nikon T-rings around here, and it would be next to nothing for me to make myself a board that would fit on the back of one of my 4x5 with the t-ring attached. What I would be missing would be the fine motion controls that the commcerial adaptor appears to have. I am also worried about how this adaptor would fit to the back of my camera. I am thinking I might have to rig something up.

Thanks to everyone who wrote, at the very leat, I might try making myself one before spending the bucks. I never considered it before, but now most DSLRs ahve mirror lockup & live view, so in theory you should be able to focus.

joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

Decades ago I made such an adaptor to fit a Nikon on a 5x7 B&J, but don't remember ever using it. One large sheet of film seemed so much more practical. Maybe now in the digital age it will finally be good for something.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph O'Neil View Post
    I never considered it before, but now most DSLRs ahve mirror lockup & live view, so in theory you should be able to focus.

joe
    Yes, that's no problem at all. I find that if I'm going to stitch, I compose on the groundglass normally applying movements, etc., then attach the adapter back and DSLR, and it just takes one refocusing to compensate for the distance between the view camera film plane and the DSLR's image plane, and I can focus in live view magnified 10X.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Yes, that's no problem at all. I find that if I'm going to stitch, I compose on the groundglass normally applying movements, etc., then attach the adapter back and DSLR, and it just takes one refocusing to compensate for the distance between the view camera film plane and the DSLR's image plane, and I can focus in live view magnified 10X.
    David,

Do you have any samples of your stitches online?

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    David,

Do you have any samples of your stitches online?
    See post #7