Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loss of editing controls in Firefox

Loss of editing controls in Firefox

Quite suddenly today, I have lost access to editing controls in the LFP vBulletin interface. This happened only in Firefox (I'm using v3.5 on this older XP laptop)--everything still works fine in Internet Explorer.

None of the mouse-over commands are present. For example, the little down arrow next to Search is gone, as is the functionality it provides. The MS Office-style formatting controls in the editing window are all there, but clicking on them does nothing. The control-key combinations that invoke those formatting commands (e.g. cntrl-I for italic) has reverted back to the Firefox effect.

Finally, the LFPF logo in the upper left has been replaced by a plain-text link "Large Format Photography Forum", and not the graphical logo.

This happened this afternoon quite suddenly, during a period of very spotty Internet access using a 3G modem in a fringe area.

I have reinstalled Firefox, thinking it got corrupted somehow, but that had no effect. Of course, I rebooted thinking I'd corrupted run code in memory somehow. Again, no effect.

I went to the vBulletin forum to see if there was any discussion of these symptoms, but all the controls in that forum (which presumably shares its code with this one) still work as expected.

Anybody got any ideas?

Rick "another mystery fault" Denney

Re: Loss of editing controls in Firefox

that is certainly odd.

The only thing I can think of is that some web sites detect a "limited bandwidth" client and decide to dumb down their response. I'm not sure that this is what you are experiencing but, it sounds familiar. I still connect to the internet with a dial-up connection over a 56k modem from time to time and I see this a lot.
    You might try to clear you cookies and all of the cache (tools->clear recent history, and check all of the check boxes). Then close firefox and try again...

Why have you not upgraded to the latest version of firefox?

Sounds like your security settings got changed.

Are you running NoScript? It will do that if you tell it to block a site (or don't tell it the site's OK).

I'm running 3.6.19 on an iBook Pro with nary a problem. I don't have any windoze machines connected to the internet anymore.

- Leigh

Brisbane, Australia

I'm running 3.6.18 on all my PCs and laptop without drama. I was only offered the upgrade yesterday so perhaps seek it out. Do not run V.4...many add-ons are incompatible with this version but fine with the V.3s

The upgrade install may resolve obvious glitches.

Rick

With a poor connection the pages don't always fully load, effectively they timeout with most of the content and no graphics.

Firefox is now on V6 which is very much more stable and faster (still Beta thoiugh), I had no issues weith V4 and all my plugins.

Ian

Exclamation Re: Loss of editing controls in Firefox

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    ... I had no issues weith V4 and all my plugins.
    FireFTP doesn't work with v4. I use it a lot, maintaining three websites.

- Leigh

Leigh. I use FireFTP all the time it works in V6 and I used to use it with V4 as well but there was a short spell before it was compatible.

One great thing about FireFTP is you can run it in multiple tab or windows, quite usefull for faster uploading.

Ian

Brisbane, Australia

Ian, the issues are with the add-ons not plug-ins. Probably just a case of third party offerings being tardy which I do not tolerate. Given time, they will catch up with the changes no doubt.

Octogenarian

I have been experiencing the same problem as Rick Denny.

Re-installed Firefox, but that doesn't seem to solve the problem.

Re-installed Safari, and recovered the use of the little arrow that takes me to the last reply and allows me to reply directly to my PM's. However, it does not allow me to post pictures on the forum.

Don't know what caused the change or how to correct it. The web is a mysterious place to us non-geeks.

Quote Originally Posted by RickV View Post
    Ian, the issues are with the add-ons not plug-ins. Probably just a case of third party offerings being tardy which I do not tolerate. Given time, they will catch up with the changes no doubt.
    Actually the issues are Firefox develops memory problems and this leads to problems like this, it slows down and then when you get a bad connection it stumbles, it tends to pull some files from cache. I found the later versions of V3 the worst for this.

It's worth trying to restart with the add ons disabled, which should be on the help menu, but I think I had to edit the Config file for V3.6 to overcome a couple of problems.

Ian