Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a new Tripod Head Badly

Need a new Tripod Head Badly

Hey Mates,

So I just got a Busch Pressman 4x5. When I load the film
    the damn camera rotates -- the actual tripod plate spins about 5 degrees in the camera
    even though everything is locked down as tight as I can get it.

The head I am using is here. I have never felt this head was that great. The small plate moves even on my 35 mm gear. And when shooting portraits that damn thing slips from the position I want it in. Really time to upgrade although funds are limited.

Here is the offending head:

http://tinyurl.com/3p3suax

So what do I need that will work on both cameras? Do I need a bigger head?
    I don't mind a ball head if it will be secure and not move. Should I look at the heads
    with the pan and tilt handles? What are some options of both varieties?

Thanks very much. This forum is a voice in the wilderness sometimes.

Jeff

jeffromeo.com/blog

Re: Need a new Tripod Head Badly

Try this first, Jeff.

All of my various tripods and heads have had the usual dimpled rubber plate pads replaced with soft leather, usually deer hide. The rubber or composite types have always had way more "give" than I like, so I just take them off and use the leather which has much better grip and still thoroughly protects the camera base.

Also, for my large format cameras, I usually use pliers or a screwdriver (depending on the head plate attachment type) to really anchor the plate to the camera and then leave it attached while in storage. Extra plates are cheap enough to keep two or three on hand.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Or you could just get a brand new Linhof ball head
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ckfix_Cap.html

Tim's suggestion is a good one; you could also visit a store and try another plate, one which locks down better.
    Buy a couple and leave them on the camera.

I'm a big fan of my Manfrotto Jr. Geared head. Not as fast as a ball head, but much (much) more precise.

Which tripod legs do you have?

I have an arca swiss b1 for sale. Search the classifieds.

Quote Originally Posted by lenser View Post
    Try this first, Jeff.

All of my various tripods and heads have had the usual dimpled rubber plate pads replaced with soft leather, usually deer hide. The rubber or composite types have always had way more "give" than I like, so I just take them off and use the leather which has much better grip and still thoroughly protects the camera base.
    An alternative to this if you don’t have a willing deer donor is, a thin rubber pad, sold in hardware and houseware stores, used to open jar lids or large bottle lids. The example I have in my hand from my wife’s kitchen is 5.5”x 1/16” (14mm x 2mm), but they vary in size. Some are soft rubber through out. Some are rubber coated fabric. I have one on each camera/tripod connection and a few spares in my tool kit. They wear out easily but are quickly replaced.

It is late summer here and all our deer are out eating apples from the branches or as the apples ripen and drop from the trees, the original low hanging fruit.

John

I also like the Manfrotto geared heads. I have the Jr. model that Sean mentioned, which is also called the 410. Don't let the name fool you, it's a substantial head and can easily handle most 4x5 field cameras or small monorails.

Geared heads are great for 4x5 since often you want to level the camera with some degree of accuracy.

I started with a ballhead but I'll never use another ballhead with a view camera if I can help it. A good one will be very solid, but I found it very difficult to level the camera in one axis without affecting the other. The geared head may seem slower depending on what you're doing, but I can level the camera faster with the geared head than I ever could with the ballhead.

If you're shooting portraits in a looser way and don't care about leveling the camera, then that may be the one exception where a ballhead would work. In that case I'd try to find something that is compatible with arca-style QR plates. That way you can get a plate that fits your camera well. A ballhead will also be smaller than most other options.

Any substantial three-way head should also work fine. There are probably lots of inexpensive options, especially on older heads.

When I'm not using the 410 I use a linhof three-way leveling head (#3663). It's crazy expensive when new but sometimes deals pop up here or on ebay for used models. I got mine used and it looks pretty beat-up but it still has a silky-smooth movement and locks down tight. It's extremely solid. I use it for shooting long exposures and/or in windy conditions and it holds the camera as solidly as any ballhead, and it's not much bigger than a ballhead.

I should have added:

If you're happy with your current head other than the QR problem, I'd do as other have said and remove the rubber pad. You could replace the pad with very thin leather, a layer of gaffers tape or nothing for that matter.

I'm not familiar with the pressman--does it have leatherette where the tripod mount is? If so, and if it's not a mint collector's camera, just use the metal qr plate with no pad. It'll mark up the leatherette but it'll hold tight...

If the tripod mount area is bare metal, you may be able to drill a small hole in the camera and QR plate and pin the plate so it doesn't rotate.

You seem to be unhappy with the head in general. I would suggest you try a standard three-way head instead of a ball-head?

I am personally very happy with this one for both my 4x5 and 4x10. It is not being made any more, but you can get a used one in great condition for $50 or less, even at KEH. Plates are still available too and are affordable enough to get a few.

Just a thought.

Marko

The Manfrotto 804RC2 is a compact, light-weight, and relatively inexpensive head that works well with lighter 4x5s. I used it with a Wista DX. http://tinyurl.com/yb88h9x

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/