Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: What was your first lens?

Re: What was your first lens?

135mm f4.7 Xenar. My dad gave me a Pacemaker Crown 4x5 in 1965 and this was the lens that came with it. Still have it.

Another 127 mm f4,7 Ektar, on a military OD Green Speed Graphic. Both gone and replaced.

Schneider Super Angulon 90mm for my 4x5 camera.

6" Gold Ring Dagor in a Rapax Shutter ~ Beautiful lens with an image circle that that was sharp all the way to the edge of the image circle which easily covered 5x7 - stupidly sold it along with my 5x7 Ansco, one of the worst mistakes I ever made.

Schneider Symmar-S Multicoating 5.6/150mm for Sinar, nice lens, sharp, but too sharp for my taste today
    Everybody has photograph memory, some just do not have film.

Wetplate material available from Finland.
    https://hopeaajavaloa.fi/kauppa

12" Dagor in a Betax #4, made in the 'teens. This was my first piece of LF gear, as I was still shopping on Ebay for a camera. I won the auction 10 years ago and it was not too expensive at $175 because it was a beater and ugly. Some previous owner either dropped it a whole bunch of times or was using the front cell ring to beat on stuff with. Works fine and I still use it.

Deardorff Sales and service

In 1972 a widow whos husband started a Photo studio in 1905 had a sale. She got rid of lots of great items including 6 number 10 Circut cameras. After the sale there was still a whole lot left. This was early in the "camera collecting craze" that did not sweep the nation! So I kept showing up and bought what I could afford. One of the first lenses I bought was a #32 Kodak Anastigmat in a dial set Compur. I shot hundreds of 4x5 negs with it mounted on a top handle speed graphic. The next was a 12in Voigtlander Collinear to go with an 8x10 Seneca. I used them both till the 80s and then started collecting my series of lenses. Before she moved I was offered what was left. I've shot with all of them and have experience with nearly every type ever made.
    Ken Hough Deardorff Refinisher since 1982
    Deardorff Factory refinisher / remanufacturer 1982-88
    Deardorff Factory Historian 82-88
    Deardorff Cameras on Facebook
    www.deardorffcameras.0catch.com

Scott Davis

Sinar Sinaron 210 f5.6. I don't still have that exact lens (I sold it off along with my Sinar A1 outfit when I needed some other gear) but I did purchase another one several years later when I was rebuilding my 4x5 kit with a Shen-Hao HZX AT 2. I still have it for use with that camera. It's one of my favorite focal lengths for use with that format.

6 1/2" Ilex Paragon on an Anniversary Speed Graphic + 4 film holders. The whole thing cost me $35 in the early 80's.