Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Iqsmart users! Are there any?

Iqsmart users! Are there any?

Dear all,
    I'm purchasing refurbished iqsmart 2 from reputable seller, however, I can't find enough examples or real review of the thing with crops! How good is it....so on.

I'm buying base on some feedback mainly on this forum...and it costs a heck amount of money.

Can someone shed a light with some crops or comparisons or detailed opinion on both hardware and software.

Any info is much appreciated.

Re: Iqsmart users! Are there any?

I own an IQSmart 3. I've owned Imacon and the Nikon 9000 film scanner, and I've had many images drum scanned on various high end drum scanners.

I can state without hesitation that the IQsmart yields a superior scan to all but a drum scanner, and in the case of most negatives the difference between the IQ scan and the drum scan will not be visible in normal circumstances. Where a drum scanner is superior is with film and negatives with poor density, too much or too little.

Where the IQSmart suffers compared to the imacon and prosumer scanners is in the software. It is not software written for a novice, it is written for a pre press professional so is not easy to master. If you want to bang out decent film scans with little effort get and Imacon, if you want to wet mount and really pull out all the detail in a neg go with an IQsmart or a drum.

I really hope it's that good! What drew me to the IQSmart scanner is it's a flatbed so batch scanning is a major plus there. I heard the software is not that hard, plus there is training CDs included and I looked at the user guide and it seems learning curve not so steep! At least I hope so and I have some experience with photos's software (please pray for me )
    Regarding wet mounting, I'm afraid for the time being I'm not welling to consider (messy and I heard its main advantage is with scratched film).

Thanks a lot Brian, your opinion is much appreciated. I was looking for comparison detailed review....seems hard with this kind of equipments.

Kind regards,
    Mohammed

Thanks eric t. That's a great comparison with crops.
    Really good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by mob81 View Post
    I heard the software is not that hard
    It is not. And it is not Photoshop either when it comes to precision and flexibility.
    Make sure your model is capable of saving scans in DT.

Regarding wet mounting, I'm afraid for the time being I'm not welling to consider (messy and I heard its main advantage is with scratched film).
    It is not messy. And holds the film where it needs to be. How would you make the film holding in place otherwise, with tape?

I was looking for comparison detailed review....seems hard with this kind of equipments.

Please take a look at this: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/scan-comparison/

Sergey,

Nice website comparsion of scanners. Glad that I have Eversmart Pro II working under 2.5.5 software (16 Bit & DT files!)

Evan

Quote Originally Posted by SergeyT View Post
    It is not. And it is not Photoshop either when it comes to precision and flexibility.

It is not messy. And holds the film where it needs to be. How would you make the film holding in place otherwise, with tape?

Please take a look at this: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/scan-comparison/

Quote Originally Posted by SergeyT View Post

I heard the iqsmart 2 doesn't support DT files! Only iqsmart 3 in the iqsmart models.
    And from what I know you can mount the film dry easily (via masks or direct mount to the base glass) no wet mounting required, just an optional extra.

Thanks for the comparison link.

You don't need support for DT. As long it outputs in 16-bit then all you need to do is scan it with extra care as to not clip any shadows or highlights and then work on it later in photoshop. To improve your results you can follow the Hutchcolor scanning guide and produce an extended range ICC profile to start you off.

Turn off sharpening and make sure "descreening" is turned off when you scan. You can sharpen and smooth later in photoshop.

Buying a refurbished unit is good, there is a lot that can be wrong with a used scanner but a refurb is likely to perform as new.