Thread: Epson 4990 resolution question

Epson 4990 resolution question

Hi everyone,
    I'm considering purchasing an Epson 4990 scanner to scan 8x10 negatives and slides and was wondering what exactly is the highest amount of detail that the scanner can resolve at for this size? I haven't been able to find a concrete answer to this question, with some people saying that with 8x10 a much lower resolution lens is used in the scanner. Would that mean that, using this scanner, there wouldn't be much of a resolution difference between a scanned 4x5 and a scanned 8x10 negative?
    Thanks in advance!
    Rowan

Re: Epson 4990 resolution question

That's how the 750, etc work so I suspect you're right.

Of course I guess you could always scan an 8 x 10 in pieces and then stitch them together.

Just a clarification...

The 4990 has a single fixed lens.

Its successors, the v700/v750 series, have two lenses.

If you determine the optimal scanning height above the 4990's platen and use a film holder (e.g., either homemade or the "BetterScanning" holder), its greatest effective resolution falls in the range of 1500-1800 dpi or so, maybe a little better if you have a great sample.

For 8x10 film, you might meet your printing needs with less resolution than that.

-----
    Notes on homemade holder:
    An inexpensive and effective alternative to Epson/BetterScanning holders is to simply use a piece of store-bought, anti-glare glass (not anti-reflection glass), and use six or eight pieces of artist’s tape to tape your film on the side with the etched surface. This eliminates Newton rings. You’d flip the glass so the film faces the scanner bed. You can use various things to support and adjust the height of the glass above the bed – for example, post-it note pads. The ideal height is different from scanner to scanner, typically in the realm of 2mm or 3mm, but conveniently, the scanner lens provides a healthy amount of DOF.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    Just a clarification...

The 4990 has a single fixed lens.

Its successors, the v700/v750 series, have two lenses.

If you determine the optimal scanning height above the 4990's platen and use a film holder (e.g., either homemade or the "BetterScanning" holder), its greatest effective resolution falls in the range of 1500-1800 dpi or so, maybe a little better if you have a great sample.

For 8x10 film, you might meet your printing needs with less resolution than that.

-----
    Notes on homemade holder:
    An inexpensive and effective alternative to Epson/BetterScanning holders is to simply use a piece of store-bought, anti-glare glass (not anti-reflection glass), and use six or eight pieces of artist’s tape to tape your film on the side with the etched surface. This eliminates Newton rings. You’d flip the glass so the film faces the scanner bed. You can use various things to support and adjust the height of the glass above the bed – for example, post-it note pads. The ideal height is different from scanner to scanner, typically in the realm of 2mm or 3mm, but conveniently, the scanner lens provides a healthy amount of DOF.
    Thank you so much for that clarification! So specifically for 8x10 the 4990 is actually better than the v700/750 since it uses a single lens which has a higher resolution than the low resolution lens on the 700/750?

Here's a quick summary of what I remember people reporting here:

The lower resolution lens of the v700/v750 gives an effective resolution very similar to the 4990's fixed lens, right around 1800 dpi. This is the lens you activate when you choose "Film area guide" (i.e., the film is resting directly on the platen and positioned by the film area guide). This is the lens that's meant for 8x10 film.

The higher resolution lens of the v700/v750 (the "SHR lens") gives better effective resolution than the 4990 – and it's more significant, up to 2300 or 2400 dpi. This is the lens you activate when you choose "Film holder" (i.e., the film is on a holder and suspended above the platen). I don't believe this lens scans the full area of 8x10 film.

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    Here's a quick summary of what I remember people reporting here:

The lower resolution lens of the v700/v750 gives an effective resolution very similar to the 4990's fixed lens, right around 1800 dpi. This is the lens you activate when you choose "Film area guide" (i.e., the film is resting directly on the platen and positioned by the film area guide). This is the lens that's meant for 8x10 film.

The higher resolution lens of the v700/v750 (the "SHR lens") gives better effective resolution than the 4990 – and it's more significant, up to 2300 or 2400 dpi. This is the lens you activate when you choose "Film holder" (i.e., the film is on a holder and suspended above the platen). I don't believe this lens scans the full area of 8x10 film.

Hope this helps!
    Oh okay thanks for the details. Just managed to snag a mint 4990 with all the accessories and holders for $100; super happy about that! If I can squeeze 1800 or maybe even 2000 dpi out of the scanner I should be able to get some seriously high resolution 8x10 scans.

Nice score and good luck with a very good scanner.

The 4990 is, I think, the best deal in used scanners that can do 8x10.

All my images here are from my trusty, refurbished 4990 – still going strong after several years of use, not even a hiccup.

I scan 8x10's with the 4990 at 2400dpi with the film resting straight on the platen. I get significantly more usable image information from an 8x10 this way than from a 4x5 scanned in the holder.