Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What was the last year for 14-inch Commercial Ektars?

What was the last year for 14-inch Commercial Ektars?

I know the dating system (camerosity) for the serial numbers of these lenses, but what I don't know is what was the final year the 14-inch Commercial Ektar was manufactured.

Re: What was the last year for 14-inch Commercial Ektars?

Mine was made in 1967- but I've never seen another Kodak LF lens made after 1963 (and I've seen quite a few). Some enlarging lenses have late-'60s date codes, too.

The last ones made were in late 1965 or early 1966, however there were quite a few in the Kodak warehouse and they continued to sell for 1 1/2 to 2 years.

Kodak told us (the original Calumet) in 1965 that it was ending due to the retirement of the entire design and operation staff of 4 people so we placed order with them at that time while having f 6.3 Caltars made for us (same basic 4 element tessar that was re-designed by Manny Kiner of Ilex for us). The 6.3 Caltars were in 165mm, 215mm, 250mm, 305mm, and 375mm. Later there was a 20" (508mm) 3 element that was really good and of course wide field Caltar 90mm, f8.0, and the f 4.8 215mm S Caltar (an incredible lens if you can ever find one). That was the only American made S Caltar, all the rest were made by Rodenstock as f 5.6 (they sold them to us at a lower price than domestic lenses and primarily because they didn't want the competition).

Lynn

The 14" Commercial Ektar is a lovely lens!
    A gentleman who made quite a reputation for himself shooting food on 8x10 in the 50's mentored me while I was assembling my kit and practically demanded (lets say strongly suggested)that I
    procure a 14" Commercial Ektar.
    He was of course, right!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Mark -- Your info conflicts with Lynn's somewhat. Are the first two letters of your lens' serial number OS?

Mine is 1951 and coated with original wood box. The are among the very best.

I also once had a 14" Commercial Ektar made in 1967 (OSxxx serial number). Beautiful lens. I sold it recently.

Kerry

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    Mine was made in 1967- but I've never seen another Kodak LF lens made after 1963 (and I've seen quite a few). Some enlarging lenses have late-'60s date codes, too.
    I have a beautiful pair of Commercial Ektars, a 10" and a 12" made in 1964 (OExxx serial numbers). Other than the 1967 14", these are the latest Commercial Ektars I have seen.

Kerry

Just out of curiosity, did the 10" WF Ektar linger a bit longer or was it too gone by the mid-late 1960s?
    They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea.
    -Francis Bacon

Quote Originally Posted by John Schneider View Post
    Just out of curiosity, did the 10" WF Ektar linger a bit longer or was it too gone by the mid-late 1960s?
    I'm not 100% certain, but I believe the WF Ektars ceased production earlier (early 1960s) than the Commercial Ektars. I know they weren't offered in the 1965 Calumet Catalog that still featured the Commercial Ektars, but the 7 1/2" and 10" WF Ektars were still listed in the 1961 "Kodak Products for the Professional" catalog. So, I'm guessing the 10" WF Ektar was discontinued sometime between 1961 and 1965.

Kerry