Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The TALLEST tripod

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Re: The TALLEST tripod

Why not contact Reis and ask them? They have extension legs, and perhaps two sets of legs could be added to the tripod. Or perhaps they could accommodate a custom order.

Another thing you might want to look at is an orchard ladder. These are like tripods with steps. They don't fold down conveniently, but one would be a bit cheaper and definitely sturdier than a camera tripod.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    Or you could "pull an Ansel"...
    I don't see any credit with the posted image. Is it in the public domain? Do you own the copyright to the image? Did you take the photo?

Of course, I'm just being facetious. It is a well known image. I see uncredited third party image use (quite often Adams') frequently on this forum. While everyone on these LF and other forums seem to be concerned about image theft and uncredited use on the net, it would seem as though they are really only concerned with their images.

Just Sayin'.

Get your self a 10' aluminum ladder. Mount a board on the top with a tripod head clamp or just drill a hole that'll accept whatever bolt size that'll fit into the bottom of your own tripod head. I did this a couple of years ago downtown Vancouver to photograph the Marine bld. I wanted to be up high so that I could get the top in, minimize key-stoning, and make the doors look small.
    Hey, even if you get yourself a huge tripod, you will still need a ladder to get up there...Of course the ladder wouldn't be a good option if you have no way of transporting it.

andrew
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Marine-Bld-Entrance.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by adam satushek View Post
    I've got a gitzo 1504 giant, its 10ft without a column. Bought it to shoot over chainlinked fences. Its great and can be purchased new. It is aluminum and weighs like 17lbs. They also have a carbon fiber version...I forget the model number, it weighs a lot less but also costs twice as much. But, yeah id recommend the 1504, I'm sure they can be found used also.
    Carbon Fiber: http://www.gitzo.us/product/72038.71...-_6_Sec_G-Lock

Aluminum: http://www.gitzo.us/product/72038.71...od_-_5_Section

Quote Originally Posted by Uri A View Post
    Jim:

I looked at that photo carefully - I don't see a ladder. But that kind of tripod is EXACTLY what i want. anyone still make 'em?

Thank you Jim!
    I couldn't find a photo online that shows the ladder steps, but have seen it elsewhere. Back when photographers and almost everybody else were producers, not consumers, they often improvised such accessories. Any town should have had a carpenter who could design and build one on order. He'd just need a little guidance on how to make and attach legs so they would be sturdy, something a few modern makers of inexpensive tripods haven't mastered.

I've used this "light stand/camera stand" to photograph real estate from a higher vantage point and it's very stable.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...era_Stand.html

Gitzo made something like an orchard ladder years ago.
    same layout, ladder w/2 legs.

Here’s Norman McGrath getting high (from Photographing Buildings Inside and Out).

He doesn’t say what tripod he’s using, but looks like he needs a ladder to operate the 4x5 camera mounted on top of it. Take a look at the tripod’s third leg – it’s resting on a rung of the ladder!

Say, looks like Norman is shooting 35mm film. How come?

“Here,” he explains, “I was shooting the 35mm hand-held version of the view so I could get even higher on he ladder than was possible with my 4x5, tripod-mounted camera. Be warned, it’s easy to become giddy in a situation such as this one.”
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails High tripod.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Arne Croell View Post
    When I can find this one listed at a store, B&H for example, it's listed as discontinued.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Innovative, but perhaps not practical. This is my father on a commercial assignment in 1938. I have a print of it on my darkroom wall, and it always brings a smile.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...9&d=1215287752