Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mounting a Componon S 5.6/150mm in a Beseler 45V-XL

Mounting a Componon S 5.6/150mm in a Beseler 45V-XL

Hello all. First post on the forum. Darkroom guy on and off for 30+ years. Taking my photography into 4x5. I started with 126, 35mm and most recently was working in 6x6 and 6x7.

Just acquired a 45V-XL enlarger and Componon-S 5.6/150 enlarging lens. Ideally I would like to fit the lens into the Beseler 3 lens turret. The lens has a 50mm mounting thread, and I have the mounting ring. Lens s/n 14 257 774 "Made in Germany".

The problem is that the rear element of the 150mm lens doesn't fit through the (39mm?) standard mounting hole in the turret. The mounting thread is larger than the rear element, so even if you remove the rear lens element, there is no way to thread the lens onto the turret.

What are the work-arounds? Can I use the turret to mount this lens, or do I need a dedicated lens board for the 150mm lens? Thanks for all input.

p.s. I searched the forum on this topic before I posted. Saw lots of Componon-S threads but nothing exactly on this question.

Re: Mounting a Componon S 5.6/150mm in a Beseler 45V-XL

ic-racer,

Thanks! Is it that simple, just screw the lens into the adapter then screw the adapter+lens into the turret? In my mind I am thinking the rear lens element may be covered by part of the turret, or the overall height (length) of the rear element may be a problem. Doesn't the lens mounting shoulder need to be against the turret mounting surface? Using the adapter, it seems like the lens will be a bit closer to the easel/baseboard.

Quote Originally Posted by chassis View Post
    Doesn't the lens mounting shoulder need to be against the turret mounting surface?
    In fact most bigger lenses need to be on some kind of cone so the rear element does NOT fit through the hole and bind the turret. For example all these Durst lenses need special cones to clear the rear elements like seen below. Remember bigger, longer lenses will be helped, in terms of bellows extension, by being extended down from the turret.

Thanks again ic-racer.

[QUOTE=ic-racer;753122]In fact most bigger lenses need to be on some kind of cone so the rear element does NOT fit through the hole and bind the turret. For example all these Durst lenses need special cones to clear the rear elements like seen below. Remember bigger, longer lenses will be helped, in terms of bellows extension, by being extended down from the turret.
    /QUOTE]

That's my experience with my Durst Laborator. I need to use a Femotub when making 9x7 inch prints, otherwise I can't focus the image.

Is it worth spending $90 on an adapter when you get a dedicated lens board for about $10? I've never used a turret and , frankly, never understood the need for them in a home darkroom. I work in everything from half-frame to 5x7, but don't find myself changing lenses too often during a darkroom session (I tend to work in a specific format each time). If there's a good reason to use a turret, I'm all ears...

Quote Originally Posted by emh View Post
    Is it worth spending $90 on an adapter when you get a dedicated lens board for about $10? I've never used a turret and , frankly, never understood the need for them in a home darkroom. I work in everything from half-frame to 5x7, but don't find myself changing lenses too often during a darkroom session (I tend to work in a specific format each time). If there's a good reason to use a turret, I'm all ears...
    In my case I like being able to just flip through the three lenses to get the image size I want at a comfortable enlarger head height so the easel will open when doing smaller prints. But I like both ways, so I have one 4x5 set up with the turret and the other set up with individual plates. On the 8x10, the turret swaps out just like a lens plate.

Got it done. Ordered the adapter cone from Calumet and it installed fine. Thanks for the help everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    1/4 the cost new from the Durst dealers!