Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Improving agitation in hand-rolling Jobo tanks, specific to materials

Improving agitation in hand-rolling Jobo tanks, specific to materials

Hey N, Ok, lets get our facts straight and maybe we are in agreement, if the 2509 is the ONE reel, then you are correct it will not fit. It is too short, now if it is the TWO reel then it fits perfect.....is this better?

Jorge, 2509 is simply the part number of the reel (with or without the "n"). The tank number is something else entirely. I have the 2521 tank that will hold two 2509n reels. The 2521 and 2523 will hold 2 reels and fits quite nicely on a Uniroller or other mechanical roller. The 2513 is the one-reel tank that will NOT work on a mechanical roller.

David, I use HC-110 in dilution B (with Ilford films) and pre-soak (while agitating) for 5 minutes as Jobo says. The big difference with tank development is that you are supposed to make sure that under no circumstances is your development time less than 5 minutes. As with tray development, consistency is the key. I'm still new to the tank processing so I'm currently following all of Jobo's instructions and it seems to be working out pretty OK for me.

Ah! That explains it - yes, I was referring to using the one reel in a short drum. As Jeniffer pointed out, 2509 refers to the reel and not the drum. Hope that clarifies things... Cheers, DJ

Just wanted to give a little short-term follow-up. I did another test batch tonight with some extra sheets I shot in the studio this afternoon. I processed the first batch as usual in trays with my "slosher," and the second set of four sheets in the Jobo drum, keeping in mind the suggestions I received. I am happy to report that the batch I did in the Jobo are every bit as evenly developed as the first batch. Whatever changes I made since the first test run must have made the difference, as those negs are about as close to perfect as I've come. Quite a refreshing experience. Thanks to all who contributed answers and I'd still be happy to hear any additional info. Thanks again.

I thought that the Jobo 2521/23 tank would only hold 1 4x5 2509 reel. The double reel 4x5 tank would be the 2551/53. Are we saying that the single 4x5 reel 2521/23 tank is long enough to work on a motor base? The 2513 tank would not work with the 4x5 reel.

Chuck, you are right about the model numbers (I was looking at the specs and saw the # of 35mm reels, not 4x5). Short version -- any tank that can only hold one 4x5 reel will NOT work on a motorized base.

Wanted to do a little more long-term follow-up on this thread. I've continued developing my 4x5 B&W film in this combination of drum and reel. I've since switched to TMax RS developer and the results are impeccable. I still use Formulary TF-4 fixer and a water bath in place of a stop bath. Rolling the drum by hand on rollers isn't an ideal setup and hopefully I'll eventually (in 5 years...) get an actual Jobo processor, but it's not that bad and sure is a hell of a lot better than doing open trays in the darkness, to say nothing of the improvement in consistency of results and absence of scratches on my negatives. I now develop 6 sheets at a time using the recommended amount of developer and agitate by rolling 20 revolutions in one direction and then 20 in the other, etc. at about 40 RPM. It's a great setup and I recommend it wholeheartedly.