Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jamin Darlot Convertible "Can Type" vs Cone Centralisateur

Re: Jamin Darlot Convertible "Can Type" vs Cone Centralisateur

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    I see a couple knobs for converting on that one, but it doesn't have the wider diameter "can" in the rear. Darlot seemed to make a LOT of different configuration lenses. However, that also makes it easy for you to find mismatched lenses. I.E. pieces of one lens put on another. So you have to be careful and look closely at what you are buying.
    I have just purchased a Petzval type lens through ebay and have been scouring the net ever since, It is a Albion Albumenizing Co lens, made in France by Jamin. It measures 138mm tall, 110mm across the top and 90mm across the bottom. It has a waterhouse slot and has rack and pinion focus.
    Seems to be a rare oddity!
    regards

This must be ebay 181203274009.
    "Quick acting Cabinet Portrait" "Made in France" for the company you mentioned in Glasgow.
    From the dimension and the "focal length" he worked out, it sounds like a Cabinet size 2. Probably around 9 or 10".
    How do you know it's a Jamin? Remember that most of Jamin lenses were made in the simple days before Waterhouse stops (pre 1858 ca.). There was a french company (not Jamin) who did import these into the UK and with a faster version for children (like Dallmeyer C series) but can't recall the name at the moment.
    Making/selling plates and printed blanks for CdV and Cabinets was quite a business at this time, but like Rochester, many shops/shed producers were under-capitalised and mergers/closures were common.

Thought I'd add this to the thread.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	can1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	101273Click image for larger version. 

Name:	can2.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	101274Click image for larger version. 

Name:	can3.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	101275Click image for larger version. 

Name:	can4.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	101276

More pics:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	can5.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	101277Click image for larger version. 

Name:	can6.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	101278Click image for larger version. 

Name:	can7.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	101279Click image for larger version. 

Name:	can8.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	101280

Last pic showing the Waterhouse stop that came with this lens. There is also a mount for disc stops that slips into the lens shade for use with the achromat. I purchased this lens a while back and the reemergence of this thread reminded me that I had a lens similar to theClick image for larger version. 

Name:	can9.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	129.9 KB 
ID:	101281 can lenses discussed and shown here.

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    This must be ebay 181203274009.
    "Quick acting Cabinet Portrait" "Made in France" for the company you mentioned in Glasgow.
    From the dimension and the "focal length" he worked out, it sounds like a Cabinet size 2. Probably around 9 or 10".
    How do you know it's a Jamin? Remember that most of Jamin lenses were made in the simple days before Waterhouse stops (pre 1858 ca.). There was a french company (not Jamin) who did import these into the UK and with a faster version for children (like Dallmeyer C series) but can't recall the name at the moment.
    Making/selling plates and printed blanks for CdV and Cabinets was quite a business at this time, but like Rochester, many shops/shed producers were under-capitalised and mergers/closures were common.
    Will get back to you on the Jamin connection, I spent hours on the net trying to make a connection from Albion Albumenizing company and came across a small extract somewhere that mentioned Jamin. will check when I've got it, I think they worked out the focal length was 13 inch, will check that too, I am very much a novice as you might tell.

Here is some data:
    It cannot be a Jamin agent as they first established in 1864!

Albion Albumenizing Company

THE ALBION ALBUMENIZING CO., 96, Bath Street, Glasgow.

Practitioners of the “dark art”, who, in these days, are not alchemists but photographers, are under great obligations to the Albion Albumenizing Company, Glasgow, for the improvements wrought by that Company in the manufacture of photographic requisites, and the fact that the Company supply everything incidental to photography.

The Company referred to was established in 1864. Photography then was in its infancy, for, though the art of securing sun pictures had been discovered, the methods in vogue then were exceedingly crude, and the results obtained, judged by existing standards, defective. Photographers, of course, were sorely handicapped at first by lack of knowledge concerning the best processes ; secondly by their lack of the best apparatus and best chemical aids. The business of photographic supply was, however, revolutionised when the Albion Albumenizing Company entered the field, and, during the twenty-seven years of the Company’s existence, it has kept pace with every new discovery, thus enabling its clients to procure every requisite whereby the most recent developments may be adopted, and the enterprising photographer finds himself up to date. To professional photographers this is a matter of vital importance, considering the pressure of competition and the exacting requirements of the public now-a-days. But there has come into existence during recent years a great army of amateur photographers, and they, also, are desirous not to be eclipsed by rivals ; they do not care to adhere to methods which have been superseded by better ones. The advantage of obtaining everything incidental to photography from one firm instead of getting one article here and another there must be obvious, and the numerous customers of the Albion Albumenizing Company appreciate the facilities placed at their disposal by it.

The Company under consideration is practically that of F. W. Verel & Co., and the manager is Mr. W. A. Verel, junior, a gentleman thoroughly conversant with the business and an able administrator. The premises in Bath Street, Glasgow, consist of warehouse and showroom, a dark room for the use of amateur photographers, offices, and workshop. The manufacturing part of the business is not situated here but at Cathcart, near Glasgow, where there are extensive works covering a large area of ground and employing numerous hands, manufacturing their well-known “Dry Plates” and “Ready Sensitized Paper”. It would be impossible, within reasonable limits, to describe or even to mention the numerous useful and ingenious contrivances made and supplied by the Company under notice, considering that the illustrated catalogue it issues, extends to seventy-six pages, including an index which itself occupies two pages.

Briefly speaking, however, it may be stated that they deal in all kinds of photographic apparatus, materials, and chemicals. A speciality is made of the Albion Long Focus Camera, with reversing back, for horizontal and vertical negatives, fitted with new double swing back arrangement which adds nothing to the weight and is easily adjusted. This camera is likewise fitted with rack and pinion focus, best leather bellows, rising front, and is very light and compact. Photographers, whether professional or amateur, will understand the value and practical utility of such an invention. A speciality is also made of the Albion Combination Long and Short Focus Camera, which will work with a three-inch focus lens, the body of the camera, following up the front, thus removing the drawback common to long focus cameras when using short focus lenses, the tail board cutting oft part of the picture. Both the appliances described are characterised by the best quality, workmanship, and finish, and as their merits become known, the demand for them persistently increases.

The firm’s connection, as may be inferred from the character of the trade and the completeness of their stock, is a very important one. It extends all over the United Kingdom, and by a no inconsiderable number orders are executed for customers abroad. The telegraphic address of the Glasgow establishment is “Albumen, Glasgow”, and of the works at Cathcart, “Matchless, Cathcart”.

Back to Index of Firms (1891)
    They are mentioned in earlyphotography's list of UK companies on that website. They give also the various Glasgow addresses.
    You may find pencil marks on the lenses which will give a clue as to maker.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    Here is some data:
    It cannot be a Jamin agent as they first established in 1864!

They are mentioned in earlyphotography's list of UK companies on that website. They give also the various Glasgow addresses.
    You may find pencil marks on the lenses which will give a clue as to maker.
    Thankyou for that Steve. I have been searching for the last couple of days for info, including going thru hundreds of pages from archives, but cant find a great deal, only that it seems to be a decent portrait lens for "children and nervous types" said to be great at 8 x 10 stopped down?
    Will keep searching for answers,

Alex Timmermans

Garrett,

I found myself one.
    I was wondering if these versions are older than the "normal" cones?
    Now i have a normal and a straight version in identical size. If it take out the back part the whole contruction is almost identical.
    The straight one had no jamin or Darlot info on it but was owned by J. Wothly (a German photographer) who invented the Wothlytypie....
    name is engraved. But the typical jamin "Vis a paysage and vis a portrait are engraved.
    "You dont take a picture, it's given to you"

www.alextimmermans.com
    www.collodion-art.blogspot.com
    email : collodion-art dot onsmail dot nl

I don't know which came first, Alex, or if they both were made at the same time. Maybe the author of that book on French lenses, the guy in France, knows.