Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jamin Darlot Convertible "Can Type" vs Cone Centralisateur

Jamin Darlot Convertible "Can Type" vs Cone Centralisateur

To me, one of the joys of shooting old glass is the research. This thread is to discuss a type of early Jamin Petzval convertibles that I believe are less common than the Cone Centralisateur, which is itself fairly uncommon.

I call these lenses "Can Type" because instead of a cone shape in the back that holds the rear element, there is a cylinder or "can." It is quite different than other petzvals of the period that had the rear glass mounted within the inner tube. In these, the can fixture is a larger diameter than the inner lens tube. In fact, the rear glass is a fair amount larger than the front element, which again is unusual in Petzvals.

Cone (left) and "Can Type" Jamin Convertible Petzvals (right).

I'd like to know how many people have a "Can Type" Jamin or Darlot? I've seen many, many lenses in my travels, but not many of these. If you have one please post a picture and a photograph you've taken with it, if available.

Re: Jamin Darlot Convertible "Can Type" vs Cone Centralisateur

Here is a closeup of the rear of two of mine. Each is slightly different. (no, they're not bent, it's a wide angle shot!)

And here is the only documentation I've ever been able to find:

(Traité encyclopédique de photographie de Charles Fabre 1889)

Jamin made a number of lenses that could be used in combination. Here's an excerpt from A Manual of Photography By Mathew Carey Lea 1868:

"Jamin makes portrait lenses of which one lens unscrews, and may be used as a single view lens. This is a good arrangement, and the lenses, though not always first-rate, can be well recommended, and are very inexpensive. The same maker now makes a so-called " universal" lens, in which a number of separate lenses can be variously combined."

Also see http://classicshowcasecorp.com/2011/...french-camera/

Dan

Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

Thanks for the good quote Dan. Yeah, of all the companies in the early days, say 1840 through 1870, Jamin and Darlot seemed to branch out and try more things with their lenses. They weren't revolutionary changes, just alterations no one else seemed to bother with. Like the Cone or this "Can" type.

On your link, that lens looks a little suspect to me, doesn't it to you? Like a put together? The large, but simple engraving looks exactly like the later style on Magic Lantern lenses. It actually looks like a barrel from a ML, put together with a lot of other parts. I have seen this type before too, with the locking barrel knob. But not with this type of large, knurled knob. I'll look for a pic I have of one.

But back to the Cans, have you ever seen one of them?

On your link, that lens looks a little suspect to me, doesn't it to you?.....

dont think so, I just think its a later Darlot version.... having said that see my other answer below

But back to the Cans, have you ever seen one of them?[/QUOTE]

In 20 years, I have held one and seen one other.....

Dan

Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

I've heard from two other people that have one, here is one of them:

I have a few Most look like the ones in dan's link.

I have two early jamin lenses that even have the "third" glass in the middle under the pill box. This allows u to use several combinations to get different FL.

I am at coffers jamboree now but will try to upload photos later( I can not do it with my I phone for some reason. )

Eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Just thought I would add to this thread. I have a "Can" type Jamin Darlot similar to the one pictured by itself above. The serial # of mine is 22,874. I can see the entire serial # of the one above but it looks like 22,XXX, so not far off from mine. This lens is cut for Waterhouse stops and still has one of it's stops. It also has the slip in stop insert that fits into the lens shade. Still has its original lens cap. Will try to get photos.

Geoff

I've been thinking about this one...

Is that one of those?

http://www.antiq-photo.com/spip.php?article1656

I see a couple knobs for converting on that one, but it doesn't have the wider diameter "can" in the rear. Darlot seemed to make a LOT of different configuration lenses. However, that also makes it easy for you to find mismatched lenses. I.E. pieces of one lens put on another. So you have to be careful and look closely at what you are buying.