Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sinar Pan/Tilt Head Advantages?

Sinar Pan/Tilt Head Advantages?

Hi All,

I have a very basic question - could someone explain the advantages of the Sinar pan/tilt head for Sinar monorails (I have an F1)? There are many recommendations for them on this forum, but I'm just trying to understand how the 1-way tilt is better than, say, a 2-way tilting geared head such as the Manfrotto 410, etc.

Weight is not a primary concern, since I don't walk more than a couple of miles with my F1 (and my tripod is the Feisol CT-3371).

Thanks very much!
    Duane

Re: Sinar Pan/Tilt Head Advantages?

The camera rotates in yaw from the tripod mount. It would be better to think of the tripod mounting block as part of the tripod head and treat it like a quick-release for the camera.

Sinar also makes (or made?) an adapter so you can mount a non-Sinar smaller format camera using the tripod mounting block.

All of the Sinar tripod mounting blocks fit into retractable key stops on the head, so they fit very nicely and feel integrated.

The two-axis design is very simple, lightweight, and strong -- the same head will hold a heavy 8x10 tilted downwards. It also has a low profile, which makes transporting the tripod easier since there are no long handles or delicate geared or ball head mechanism to bang around in a tripod bag or grip kit.

The classic older movie tripods, like the Ries, meant for heavy 35mm movie cameras and the like, are also two-axis designs. But the Sinar has a larger, smoother pivot.

Nothing is the matter with the better Gitzo, Manfrotto, Arca, etc. designs except that they are heavier, weaker, and have crappier quick releases. The geared Manfrotto 410 is a nice head but a different design philosophy, it is much more complex and delicate, as you'd expect a geared head to be.

If you have a Sinar, these are the best part of the entire Sinar system, their single best product. When you see one, you'll "get it", it simply feels right.

If you don't use Sinar, I like the Linhof 3-way heads best.

I got a tattoo of a Sinar Pan-Tilt in a private area, I love them so much.

funkadelic

Frank,
    Back when I was wandering the Everglades with a 35mm and long lenses, I thought my 405 (the 410's big brother) was the best thing since sliced bread. I used it for a year or so until I accepted a very generous offer for it and a set of 3036 legs with my Deardorff 8x10. I'm currently using a Majestic tripod and geared head. I wouldn't hesitate to go back to the 405 with a solid tripod if one were to show up at my front door.
    How does one have more appreciation for the Sinar with 2 axis control over something solid with 3 axis control? Is it just the feel? It seems like if both are solid, the 3 axis option would be of more use.
    I must confess. My no-no spot is sans tattoo... at least for now. But then I've never used the Sinar pan/tilt head.

Chris

Frank nailed it. If you are using a Sinar camera, the Sinar head is simply the best.

Come on Mr. Petronio we want tat photos!

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

You have 3-axis controls with the Sinar but you need the tripod mounting block and a Sinar camera (or adapter).

While a geared head will be... geared, the Sinar moves very smoothly and locks very securely, holds a great deal of weight, and is a very simple, elegant design.

If you've only used choppy, stiff 3-ways heads like the Gitzos, then moving to a geared head would be nice. But if you had a smooth head like the Sinar you might not ever feel the need ;-)

Of course if your view camera is something other than a Sinar then you're out of luck, the adapter is meant for smaller cameras.

Ahh the tattoos are sagging, it now looks like Zorba the Hutt.

Consider your F mounted on a Sinar head:

You have yaw (horizontal pan) in the head. You have roll (side to side tilt) using the round rail in the rail clamp. And you have pitch (fore and aft tilt) using the tilt control in the head. The quick release is in the easy way the rail drops into the rail clamp. Nothing is duplicated, and the design can be extremely robust despite small and relatively light packaging.

With a 410, you have all three movements and the (Manfrotto-non-standard) quick release in the head, which means two roll mechanisms and two quick releases. Movements are duplicated at extra weight and bulk that comes without extra rigidity.

Frank has it right--it works because the head, tripod adapter, and rail attachment mechanism work as an integrated design with no waste.

Rick "who tried the 410 first with an F and learned the expensive way" Denney

Thanks Frank!

So with the Sinar head the tilt is front-to-back, correct? If so, how is side-to-side leveling accomplished? With the tripod legs? I'm currently using an old borrowed Bogen 3-way head, and I confess I use it for side-to-side leveling instead of really dialing in the legs precisely.

Thanks for your patience with these basic questions!

Duane

Oh thanks Rick - now I can visualize it!

Thanks again all, I appreciate your responses.

Duane

Frank is right on. If you use a sinar then you should use the pan tilt. Unless you do still life in the studio in which case you want the sinar vapo geared mounting block which has incredibly smooth and fine adjustments.

When I was using my sinar for my landscape work i would leave the plastic ring on the rail and then pop it into the rail clamp which was always mounted on the pan/tilt head. It was a really fast quick release. If you plan on using a heavier sinar or a long rail, or just like to carry the camera around attached to the tripod then get the rail clamp II which has a metal strap/bracket that goes over the plastic ring and locks in place far more securely than just the rail clamp I does.

Brian - thanks for the additional response.

As I'm looking at a few candidates on the auction site, I notice that some are labeled "Norma." Would this fit the rail clamp of my F1?

Thanks!
    Duane