Thread: Are these really 8x10 glass plate holders?

Are these really 8x10 glass plate holders?

I have seen a few glass plate holders but none that look like this. I am not really up on all of the old holders, but these look like a type of film holder. I am confused, any info would be helpful, Thanks

Link to an eBay Sale

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Re: Are these really 8x10 glass plate holders?

They look like plate holders to me.

do not buy them. you are better off buying the newer plastic holders to shoot film.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

loujon

There's a difference between DRY plate holders & WET Plate holders.

The holder you added a link to are DRY plate holder. The holders Eddie mentioned are WET plate holders.

The holders meant for dry plate would not last very long. Given their age & the fact that the chemicals will waste them in no time. They're not meant to get wet.

I beg to differ, if you use a plexiglas carrier that I've described in other posts, and spray the inside with polyeurethane, you can use them. I've used one for hundreds of plates, wiping it out every shot with a paper towel.

That being said, plastic holders are much easier, as I've been using a friend's a little recently.

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    I beg to differ, if you use a plexiglas carrier that I've described in other posts, and spray the inside with polyeurethane, you can use them. I've used one for hundreds of plates, wiping it out every shot with a paper towel.

That being said, plastic holders are much easier, as I've been using a friend's a little recently.
    I stand corrected Garret.

That said, I would not use the Premo holder that the OP listed a link to. Mostly because of the waxed paper center piece & general thin construction. Not to mention the crazy price tag for a Premo dry plate holder that's 100 yrs old & probably leaks at the light trap.

I would use the ROC Universal holders . Much more robust plate holders.
    Last edited by Louis Pacilla; 24-Jul-2011 at 08:31. Reason: add

Louis, I didn't see the price! Bwahhahaha! $151 for one ratty 8x10 dryplate holder? He needs to drop one zero, I usually get them for about $15. Maybe the Premos are rare or something.

Thanks for the clarification, I want to build a plate holder for my 8x10. I want to build one that snaps in where the sliding carriage snaps on on my 8x10. I didn't know if I could use that as a sort of template to build one and use 5x7 spring back that snaps in my century.

The ones I have looked at have a pressure spring, a dark slide and a hinged door for loading of the plate. I plan to build a wet plate holder, There is enough info in Google. I think I will be fine, thanks. \

BTW I thought that the ones in the OP were some sort of holder. I dont know the difference of wet plate and dry plate. Other than they are both on a plate of glass or metal.

this is what i suggest you to copy.

http://photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=881842

you can see a frame is made to attach to the camera. the ground glass back attached to this. the GG is removed and the plate holder is attached to the frame.

it is perfect for wet plate. easier than trying to make some king of a spring back and individual holders. you can make plexi inserts to shoot different sized plates in this set up.

for my set up i used a factory 8x10 studio camera (the ones with the "small opening" we talked about. no modifications.....only that frame. and i was able to shoot 10x10 wet plates and smaller.

good luck
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery